Piano Forum

Topic: What are scales?How can they help in understanding the flow of music?  (Read 2577 times)

Offline mr_skyflakes21

• PS Silver Member
It's been bothering me for a long time since I started playing guitar and began to engage myself on knowledge about scales. Yes I play them, but I don't know actually WHY are they played. I have come across over the Internet and hoping to find a clear explanation about these scales, such as major and minor scales, those creepy word diatonic, Lydian, Myxolidian and the others... I really don't know whats their purpose. I have recently read about the uses of scales in this forum, such as for improvisation and knowing what key to press once we already knew what scales are.

I am a reader of Bernhard post. They are somehow very useful and doesn't need any illustration to understand they are somehow, "crystal clear". What I am pointing is, can you answer my poor question Bernhard? Or can someone give me a link or maybe even a book where I can read and understand in full detail the purpose and true meaning of scales..

Answers would be appreciated,.Thanks

Offline javacisnotrecognized

• PS Silver Member
This thread may interest you, especially the second reply. https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,12263.0.html

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert