Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Question about Chopin Interpretation  (Read 3261 times)

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Question about Chopin Interpretation
on: December 09, 2008, 04:57:13 AM
I just started learning Chopin's 3rd Sonata, and it is very quickly becoming my favorite piece.  I have a question about rolled chords:

I have pretty large hands (I can reach an 11th with my left), and I can play all the tenths in the first movement without rolling the chords.  I prefer not to roll the chords, but a bunch of chords are written as rolled.

What are people's opinions about making minor changes like playing rolled chords solidly in interpreting Chopin?  Is it possible Chopin wrote the 10ths as rolled so the piece would be more accessible?

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Question about Chopin Interpretation
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:12:43 PM
i would think it depends if you think it should be rolled or not
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:10:36 PM
What are people's opinions about making minor changes like playing rolled chords solidly in interpreting Chopin?  Is it possible Chopin wrote the 10ths as rolled so the piece would be more accessible?

You'll notice that two chords of the same voicing (LH) appear in mm. 4 and 11; the one in m. 11 is rolled, and the one in m. 4 is not.  For this reason, I don't think it was a convenience issue, but a dramatic one.  Consider that the solid tenth in m. 4 is a resolution, while the one in m. 11 is an in important downbeat - the rolling of the e minor chord creates a certain agogic effect.  Therefore, it is not a practical indication, but a musical one.

Hope it helps,
ML

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:00:10 AM
Yeah, that makes sense.  Thanks.

Offline dbottazzi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:32:18 PM
I think that we should play, the best we can, what the composer wrote. I have two doctoral degree's, one imcomposition and the other from the Juilliard School in piano. As a composer I would not like anyone to change anything I wrote. I am sure that Chopin new what he wrote.

It is wonderful that you have nice big hands for the piano; I don't, but use then only when required by the composer.

Good luck,

Ana Maria Trenchi Bottazzi

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:34:14 AM
I think that we should play, the best we can, what the composer wrote. I have two doctoral degree's, one imcomposition and the other from the Juilliard School in piano. As a composer I would not like anyone to change anything I wrote. I am sure that Chopin new what he wrote.

It is wonderful that you have nice big hands for the piano; I don't, but use then only when required by the composer.

Good luck,

Ana Maria Trenchi Bottazzi

I think taking liberties in music depends on what we know of the composers pianist style. Chopin was known to be a no nonsense laid back pianist so you should probably not change the score, as oppose to a lot of Baroque music where it would be likely for the composer to improvise during a piece.
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline artsyalchemist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:43 AM
I would have to roll those, seeing as how I have very small hands.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert