Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: ear training - testimonial  (Read 2906 times)

Offline end

• PS Silver Member
ear training - testimonial
on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:49 AM
Hi,

I'm a beginner and very thankful for the help I'm getting from you all. So, I wanted to try to help too. The only thing I can do is this small comment.

I had the worst ear in the whole world. Really.

Then I started playing the guitar, using a tuner to tune it. At the beginning, before buying the tuner, I broke several strings trying to tune with a fork! Several. That's just how bad my ear was.

After a while, when I'd play with other people's guitar, I'd be "disturbed" by their tuning. I realized I had "almost" a perfect pitch in my mind, because I could tell their instruments were not tuned "right", but a bit higher or lower (frequencies).

I never thought it would be really possible to train my ear (I'm about 40), but it's happened. Now I can even tune my violin. I tune it on my own, then I use the tuner to make sure I got it right. I almost always do. Even with alternative tunings (EBGDGD on the guitar, for instance). It seems, my ear got used to the good stuff!

So, from own experience, if you always play with a well tuned instrument, you'll end up with good ears. It has happened to me.

So, don't give up.

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Re: ear training - testimonial
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:05:26 PM
That's it? Didn't you have an ear training lesson or something?

I don't believe you had bad ears, the way you said it. Some people can't tell the difference in pitch no matter what, and worse, have bad sense of rhythm.
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:45:13 PM
Lots of the aural skill difficulties are based on psychology and what you think you can do or not. At least for me. If I´m drunk my aural skills are superior. Go figure.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:38:49 AM
I've tuned my ears up for hearing that kind of intonation before with a guitar.  Very helpful.  I should do it more...

And I've heard the thing about being drunk.  Being relaxed, not thinking so much... make some sense.  Or at least thinking your better.  But I've heard about that with jazzers.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline tonyyyy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:24 AM
As a guitarist I think Ive got much more pitch aware over the years. still, there are bad days when I cant get it quite right.

Maybe a quiet mind is necessary ?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert