Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Hardman Baby Grand Info  (Read 3423 times)

Offline altary

• PS Silver Member
Hardman Baby Grand Info
on: June 04, 2004, 04:29:32 PM
I have inherited a Hardman Baby Grand measuring 5'8.
I know that the piano was made here in New York but I do not know anything else about this family.
Has anyone heard of this family of pianos?
I found some books inside the bench dating back to the 1920's, so I know that I have inherited a very mature instrument.

Offline Babcock

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hardman Baby Grand Info
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 01:56:41 PM
I just gave a 7'2" Hardman to a church that I had had rebuilt and used as a teaching piano for about 20 years. I've replaced it with a Steinway.   Mine was built in 1889 and played very well, albeit with a new action, and everything.  Hardman was started in 1842 in New York. In 1890 they brought in Leopold Peck as a partner and were known as Hardman and Peck thereafter until the depression when they were taken over by Aeolian piano corporatopn.  If your piano is just named Hardman, then it may be from the 1880's.  Check its serial number.

Offline altary

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hardman Baby Grand Info
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:34:36 AM
Thank you so much for that bit of information.
I had no idea it could be that old.
I'll see what else I can find out about it.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert