Piano Forum

Poll

What's the most you've paid for piano lessons and why?

$0 -$10/hour
1 (3%)
$10-$20/hour
4 (12.1%)
$20-$50/hour
4 (12.1%)
$50-$100/hour
18 (54.5%)
$100-$300/hour
5 (15.2%)
over $300/hour
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Most expensive piano teacher  (Read 9521 times)

Offline jamie0168

• PS Silver Member
Most expensive piano teacher
on: January 09, 2009, 11:44:40 PM
I'm doing a research paper on this. Give specifics such as experience, degrees, area where they lived, quality of teaching, etc.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Most expensive piano teacher
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:56:17 AM
For me $75 / hr. 

I was tired of the monotony of always following a conservatory method so I seeked out a teacher that was more flexible and had the knowledge to teach concert level repertoire.   I enjoyed studying under her immensely. The time I was with her, was probably my most productive improvement as a piano student. 

As far as I remember about my teacher: schooled in England for the most part, moved to Canada, active concert pianist, recorded numerous CD's, lineage of teaching leading back to Schnabel (could trace the line back further - da Brotha is in der zomewhere  ;) ). 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:51 AM
50$/hour
fantastic teacher.
she truly is a professional. she was taught in a traditional russian music school and at the peak of her career, when she finished her masters, she had performed two rach concertos.
i've learned a lot from her in just 6 lessons.

Offline hyrst

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:58 AM
My current teacher is the most expensive I've had at $60 Aus per hour.

She is Ukrainian, started piano as a preschooler under a Russian school teacher who was herself a child prodigy pianist trained in the Russian school.  I have not been with her for long, and her English is not terribly clear, so I am a little unsure of all her history.  I think she attended a music school in Ukraine or Paris or something.  I think she has a masters in performance from the conservatorium in Hobart, Tasmania (Aus).  She has performed innumerable etudes, concertos and major works and passed her courses with distinctions although she has not played much in the last number of years.

However, she has a lot to learn about teaching.  I don't think she has been teaching for long, although in Russian schools they teach pedagogy as part of a performance degree.  She seems to lack much awareness about the needs and experiences of students.  She has been able to play the paino brilliantly for as long as she can remeber and she really doesn't seem to understand the process of discovering how to do things.  She also doesn't have a business set up very well.  Although she is a highly competent pianist, whom I hope to learn a lot from, she asks me a lot about teaching - methods and business.  I get very frustrated with her teaching, but I think I will learn much from her as I digest and discover things during practice - I often find an answer to a problem during practice and then realise that was what she was probably trying to tell me to do, but she expects me to do it straight away when I don't have a clue what she is talking about.

She is a very clever person, though, and would have been a totally awesome performer when she was practicing consistently.  I never resent paying her, even though the money is a lot out of my small budget every week.

Offline pinoypianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:11 PM
hi. I pay $50 per lesson, which here (in the Philippines) is quite expensive.

My teacher is Filipino and he studied at the Manhattan School of Music, he is an active soloist and chamber musician. He has been my teacher for the past 4 years and my experience with him has been great. He was the one who taught me how to use my whole body to play the piano (arms, wrist, etc.), because before I was relying too much on finger technique. He also good at choosing repertoire, giving pieces that would help me overcome my weaknesess in technique or musicality. He is also a good motivator, he was able to make me practice like crazy.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:37:18 PM
$100 per hour and for what i'm getting, it really is'nt worth my dad's money so i've already made the move to switch.

previously in canada I paid can $57 per hr and my lessons often went up to 2 hrs with a min.of 1 hr 30 mins. Fantastic teacher who really did alot for me. I think after being under her my expectations of a teacher as well as myself shot up alot too
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:26:19 AM
My parents went from paying my teacher 80 dollars to 105 dollars.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert