Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin : Ballade No.1  (Read 5448 times)

Offline yw1935

• PS Silver Member
Chopin : Ballade No.1
on: January 26, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
Any comments are welcome

Offline smiggy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin : Ballade No.1
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:27:20 PM
Ahhh i love this piece.
Only got the sheet music yesterday. The ending is the best bit (7m 35s)! lols :P

Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3...Monumental!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:42:36 PM
Much better than the first vid.  You have managed to communicate the music a lot more. 

One thing that can make your playing even better is a more refined sense of pedaling.  Explore 1/2 and other variants of fractional pedaling.  You can also use the pedal to give your phrase endings a more finished sound, rather than a cut and dry end to the phrase. 

EDIT:  I just saw your new vid on YouTube before coming across this.  These comments apply more to that.  Maybe I should now download that file  :P
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:15:48 AM
After the first octave do a diminuendo, and to much of the left hand is brought out in about 1:25, and do a diminuendo at about 2:50, and in the main theme do not bring out every beat and you should speed it up some and make it more dramatic through dynamics, make a phrase at 2:05, more of a crescendo is called for just before the coda and your coda was not powerful enough, and let the last chord ring a little more, and besides that it was fine.
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:32:30 AM
Good but we're still far from entering Chopin competition... if I remember well you were the one who wanted to apply? If not I said nothing, great performance anyways.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:31:48 PM
Good but we're still far from entering Chopin competition... if I remember well you were the one who wanted to apply? If not I said nothing, great performance anyways.

I'm sorry to ignore your well-meaning comment, but I would like to know, regarding your signature, with which zenith of fine dining you associate the likes of Britney Spears?

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:14 PM

The child playing this isn't older than 10 or 11, if she's as young as she looks. I doubt she's planning on entering the Chopin competition anytime soon.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:12:51 AM
I'm sorry to ignore your well-meaning comment, but I would like to know, regarding your signature, with which zenith of fine dining you associate the likes of Britney Spears?

Sorry for answering. Perhaps Britney would classify as someone who could actually afford a decent meal?   
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:14:35 AM
Listened to the file this time.

If I may also add, I think you can do a lot more to add resonance to your sound.  There are moments such as the F-C,C-F horn call introducing the Eb maj theme could do with a more ringing and resonant sound.  Once place you could use carefully placed pedal to an advantage.

I enjoy your performance of this very much.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:06:59 AM
Is this recorded on a digital piano?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:12 PM
The child playing this isn't older than 10 or 11, if she's as young as she looks. I doubt she's planning on entering the Chopin competition anytime soon.

I am sorry I was confused, I tought it was pmz ...  ;D Now I recognize Rachel, so nevermind what I said haha.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:55 PM

Well, the same as jazz, mcdonald's, or worse...

Offline tagadam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:54 AM
please more legato in the theme / reexpositions
otherwise you're doing really good

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:25 PM
Just a suggestion to yw1935...

I have browsed the Audition Room for quite a time before becoming a member, and noticed that you make a thread for each piece the girl plays. Please, for the convinience of many, stack the recordings into one thread.

Just to be clear on that.

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:50 PM
Is this recorded on a digital piano?
i thought the same until some classical "two-against-one" mistuned keys suggested that it is an upright with a poor mic almost inside of it.
anyway, the performance is good.
best!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert