Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Do you compose?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline andru

• PS Silver Member
Do you compose?
on: June 12, 2004, 10:20:13 PM
Hi,

I just wondered if there is someone who composes music for the piano.
I do, with cappella, a very good notation program.

Now if somebody is interested, I would like to change compositions with other composers, to hear their opinion about my pieces and to tell him my opinion about his'. It's a pity I don't have a website, so I have to send my compositions with Email.

Actually I've got 4 pieces, all in midi format, so it's no problem to listen to it.

If you're interested, I'll send you my pieces, I just want to hear your opinion.

Greez, Andrew

Offline andru

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do you compose?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 10:54:27 PM
oh ya I forgot:

You don't need to be composer to get my pieces, just write a post in here, if you wanna get'em.

Greez, Andrew

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 12:39:35 AM
What program do you use? There was a similar thread a bit back ago, maybe a week or two? Anyways, you can find my stuff at www.sibeliusmusic.com under Florez, Christian.

Offline leyton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 06:42:39 PM
I compose a bit, though I have not yet found my style.  Mostly short works for piano - a prelude or a waltz.  Recently I got ambitious so I'm working on something for piano and orchestra.  (With little knowledge of orchestration at that.)  I have no idea how it will turn out, and even if I do finish it, I don't really have an orchestra at my disposal.

I've found that I don't really like composing on the computer because with the software I have, it takes a while to get all the notes in and there is little flexibility.  So I prefer to compose by hand, which gives the added benefit of working right at the piano.

I am curious, though - is it worth it to get a MIDI keyboard?  Does anyone use these, and what kind os results do you get?

Offline andru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 02:46:20 AM
Back after a few months ;D I've checked out Sibelius. At the beginnings it was very hard, I didn't even know how to write my music with it. But when I've come into routine, I found many new possibilities, which I didn't have with my old notation programm (capella). I wrote some pieces which I had already composed again with Sibelius and put them on www.sibeliusmusic.com.

Now I'd like some of you to criticize my compositions, 'cause I don't know wheter they're good or not. To listen to them, just click on the link below to get to my page on sibeliusmusic.

https://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/user_page.pl?url=andru

...oh yeah, you need scorch, a little plugin, to see and listen to my compositions.

Greez, Andrew

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 01:05:08 AM
Damm Adreas!!!
You dont need anyone to tell you that u write good music!!!
I specially like your prelude n 1  ;D
damm

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 03:59:35 AM
It's good, but you could improve the overall presentation. Put the title in the actual piece, give a name to the tempo, and add the time signature. Right now it sounds good, but looks bad. Apply the same idea chefs use. Presentation is extremely important. People won't eat sloppily presented food. Same sometimes goes for music. For example, in your symphony, all the instruments are too bunched up. No one is going to go through the trouble of printing that and arranging it. Also, Sibelius Music frowns upon adding music that is incomplete, in other words a demo. Just my suggestions Anyways, look at my music please, especially Cascades.

https://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/user_page.pl?url=christianflorez

Also, listen to my incomplete Scherzo. Criticisms are welcome.

www.darkwinddesign.com/Scherzo.mid

Offline Snappy Joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 04:00:25 AM
Yes, I like the Prelude nr 1 too  :)
It reminds me somehow of pirates, medievel fantasies!
It's great  :)

I'd really love to hear it played on a real piano! :)
 F. Liszt

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 06:21:43 AM
It's good, but you could improve the overall presentation. Put the title in the actual piece, give a name to the tempo, and add the time signature. Right now it sounds good, but looks bad. Apply the same idea chefs use. Presentation is extremely important. People won't eat sloppily presented food. Same sometimes goes for music. For example, in your symphony, all the instruments are too bunched up. No one is going to go through the trouble of printing that and arranging it. Also, Sibelius Music frowns upon adding music that is incomplete, in other words a demo. Just my suggestions Anyways, look at my music please, especially Cascades.

I liked it man, pretty amazing, ur 14!!!!

damm

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 06:47:36 AM

I liked it man, pretty amazing, ur 14!!!!

Thanks, I am currently working on a Sonata, one of my most sophisticated works yet. By the way, what was it that you liked, the Scherzo?  :)

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 09:56:22 AM
I graduated from composition in bachelor's because, since I was an ex trumpet player and started the piano late, I didnt get accepted into piano. Now Im studying my masters in piano, but I still compose. My style is definately modern and my favorite modern composer is Morton Feldman... Strangely enough, after a few beggining pieces I have not written at all for the piano, instead concentrating on string quartet, classical guitar or percussion ensambles. I find it helps to become a better composer if you dont write for your own instrument only, but broaden your horizons.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline andru

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 09:13:20 PM

Hehe, I know that I should present it in a better way, sometimes I just forget to or I'm too lazy  ;D

Anyway, I'll work on it ;)

The Demos I added were the first pieces, just to test if the uploading works. I'm still working on them, the "Rainy Day" should be my work for a challenge for composers, but I don't actually know if I'll participate, 'cause it's a question of time to work on a piece which should be 20 minutes long to play.  ::)

@DarkWind: I like your scores, especially the fantasia. In some of your scores there's something that sounds Spanish, difficult to describe in another way. You know, like if you play: a minor, G major, F major, e minor, that sounds very Spanish.
By the way, the link with your Scherzo is broken, I'm afraid I can't open the midi file.

@Snappy Joe: Hehe, I didn't actually learn to play it, there's a lot of other stuff that I have to finish before. A difficulty in the Prelude might be the changing of the eighth notes with the rhythm dots (changing between left and right hand). But I'd like to hear it played in reality too.

Greez, Andru

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 12:45:39 AM
@DarkWind: I like your scores, especially the fantasia. In some of your scores there's something that sounds Spanish, difficult to describe in another way. You know, like if you play: a minor, G major, F major, e minor, that sounds very Spanish.
By the way, the link with your Scherzo is broken, I'm afraid I can't open the midi file.

Hmm, really? All my heritage is purely Colombian. 100%. I never thought any of my pieces really sounded that Spanish. But who knew! Hmm, well currently I am developing my own style.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert