Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: bach invention no 10 in G major  (Read 5156 times)

Offline bachfanatic

• PS Silver Member
bach invention no 10 in G major
on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:47 AM
Hi everybody ! I'm new on this forum and I like very much. I'm sure there is a lot of things to learn here, since it seems that some of you are teachers. Maybe you could help me a bit.

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

I'm currently working on Bach's inventions (one of my favourite composers!). In no 10 G major, there is some trills on bars 20, 21, 22 and 23 for the right hand and on bars 24, 25 for the left hand. I have the edition by Rudolph Steglich (Henle), maybe others editions says something different.

My question is : if you look carefully (those who have the Henle edition), the re is trill on the first beat of bar 20, another on the first beat of bar 21, another on the first beat of bar 22 and another on the first beat of bar 23. So how shall I play it ? I assume I have to interrupt the trill at some moments : this is not a long trill like in Invention no 4 in D minor (from bar 19 to bar 21 for the right hand, from bar 29 to bar 33 for the left hand).

It's something different here in No 10 : Bach rewrites to trill at each bar, so he means that I must interrupt the trill. Am I right ? If so, on which beat shall I interrupt the trill ? I have listened to some recordings : I think Glenn Gould trills only during the first of the bar. I think Koroliov doesn't stop his trill. His trill is the same as in No 4.

What does say your edition ? How would you play this passage ?

Sorry for such a long post.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: bach invention no 10 in G major
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:08 AM
Hi everybody ! I'm new on this forum and I like very much. I'm sure there is a lot of things to learn here, since it seems that some of you are teachers. Maybe you could help me a bit.

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

I'm currently working on Bach's inventions (one of my favourite composers!). In no 10 G major, there is some trills on bars 20, 21, 22 and 23 for the right hand and on bars 24, 25 for the left hand. I have the edition by Rudolph Steglich (Henle), maybe others editions says something different.

My question is : if you look carefully (those who have the Henle edition), the re is trill on the first beat of bar 20, another on the first beat of bar 21, another on the first beat of bar 22 and another on the first beat of bar 23. So how shall I play it ? I assume I have to interrupt the trill at some moments : this is not a long trill like in Invention no 4 in D minor (from bar 19 to bar 21 for the right hand, from bar 29 to bar 33 for the left hand).

It's something different here in No 10 : Bach rewrites to trill at each bar, so he means that I must interrupt the trill. Am I right ? If so, on which beat shall I interrupt the trill ? I have listened to some recordings : I think Glenn Gould trills only during the first of the bar. I think Koroliov doesn't stop his trill. His trill is the same as in No 4.

What does say your edition ? How would you play this passage ?

Sorry for such a long post.

You could play it like Gould, but remember that you should make your decisions based on your own research and experience in performance practice.  Here is one edition that gives a suggestion for the trill:

. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline bachfanatic

• PS Silver Member
Re: bach invention no 10 in G major
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:56 AM
Ok, thanks for the answer. It is interesting to see what others editions say. What is this edtion you posted ? I only know the Henle.

I like Gould, but I've heard that he doesn't always plays what say the score. He plays his own Bach. So that is not always the right answer to questions about interpretation and playing.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert