Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Nicest Piano you have ever played on?  (Read 9544 times)

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Nicest Piano you have ever played on?
on: June 13, 2004, 05:23:12 AM
I'm am really curious as to the different "NICE" pianos out there and which have been tested out.  Personally, the best piano i have played on so far was a Kawai EX  9 ft Concert Grande, its cost was 130,000.00.  WITHOUT THE BENCH lol.  The bench cost $2,000.00.  I also played on a hand crafted Wulitzner that was estimated at $90,000.00.  I had never played on a piano as nice before in my life!.  let me know what you have played on or what you have.
Romance- a short, simple melody, vocal or instrumental, of tender character

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nicest Piano you have ever played on?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:13:45 AM
This is one of the nicest pianos I've played on, but also one of the most "interesting":

https://www.boesendorfer.com/products/designed_models/images/hollein/hollein_500x400.jpg

It's a special designed model Bosendorfer.  Notice there's no stand holding the cover up.  That's what made it interesting.  There's a little switch on the left side of the piano that you use to raise or lower the lid to exactly the height you want.  How cool is that?

See the red and gold on the lid?  The gold is inlaid gold leaf.

- Saturn

Offline benji

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 02:10:24 AM
I played on a Bösendorfer Imperial Grand in a hotel lobby in Atlanta. It was nothing short of amazing. :)

Spatula

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:22:24 AM
There is this "Yamaha 2000" something piano which is hooked up to a Pentium 3 computer and has a monitor over the keys, looks pretty futuristic.

https://www.concertpitchpiano.com/VM_YamPro2000.html

Offline Steinwayman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:28:25 PM
Probably the all around best piano I ever played was Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli's personal Hamburg Steinway D--perfectly voiced, perfectly balanced action, glorious tone.  Several years ago I played a beautiful NY Steinway D from the late 1940's that had been in a private home in the American Midwest all that time--also a beautiful instrument with great character and responsiveness. Supposedly it was originally selected for the owner by Arthur Rubinstein, a family friend.

Have played wonderful Bosendorfers here and there and would happily own one of them, at least one of the larger models. My own Hamburg Steinway C is a fabulous piano, second to none anywhere and has about as big a sound as my house can hold.

Was very disappointed by Horowitz' NY Steinway D when I played it a few years back. I think it had been reworked by the NY Steinway techs to make it a little less  aggressive and "Horowitzian". Nothing special, and certainly no competition for my own piano. But then I'm no Horowitz.

Offline bizgirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 10:38:50 PM
That Yamaha Spatula mentioned is pretty cool.  Think about it - you could visit PF while you practice!

For some reason I think having a computer at our piano would cause us all to have less productive practice sessions. :)

Offline Babcock

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:17:55 AM
   I've played some glorious Bosendorfers; an Imperial at the Busoni competition stands out in my memory.  I'm partial to the sound of New York Steinways, though.  I owned a wonderful B from 1897 with its original board that was so warm and rich.  Now I have a D and it's so smooth and colourful.  
    I once visited a friend in a city where I was giving a recital who had a Hamburg M.  It was the best piano of its size that I have ever encountered.
    I think that there are many fine instruments.  Some may appeal to you more than others --- just like people.

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 02:56:15 PM
the nicest piano i have played was a Steinway grand (i have no idea what type it was unfortunately) at the Sydney Conservatorium, and all i can say about it is YUM it was so nice, i got to practice during the lunch break and was like can this just never end, or can i steal this piano and take it home with me? mmm very nice, could make anything sound good.

question: i've never encountered a bosendorfer or even heard of one until i came to this forum- maybe they don't have them here in australia i don't know. but that pic of the one saturn put up looks hell nice!wow i've never seen such an incredible looking piano!i want one! anyway, many of you praise them so much, so can i ask, for those who have played on a steinway and a bosendorfer, what's the difference? i'm very curious
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 06:54:31 PM
the nicest piano i have played was a Steinway grand (i have no idea what type it was unfortunately) at the Sydney Conservatorium, and all i can say about it is YUM it was so nice, i got to practice during the lunch break and was like can this just never end, or can i steal this piano and take it home with me? mmm very nice, could make anything sound good.

question: i've never encountered a bosendorfer or even heard of one until i came to this forum- maybe they don't have them here in australia i don't know. but that pic of the one saturn put up looks hell nice!wow i've never seen such an incredible looking piano!i want one! anyway, many of you praise them so much, so can i ask, for those who have played on a steinway and a bosendorfer, what's the difference? i'm very curious

I've never played on one, but my ex-piano teacher played on one and loved it as well.  They have some that have 8 extra keys on the bass side, which makes them quite tasteful.  have you ever played on a wurlitzner?  If not you should.  They are very nice pianos.  The one i played on had a very rich lovely sound.  

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 06:57:18 PM
Probably the all around best piano I ever played was Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli's personal Hamburg Steinway D--perfectly voiced, perfectly balanced action, glorious tone.  Several years ago I played a beautiful NY Steinway D from the late 1940's that had been in a private home in the American Midwest all that time--also a beautiful instrument with great character and responsiveness. Supposedly it was originally selected for the owner by Arthur Rubinstein, a family friend.

Have played wonderful Bosendorfers here and there and would happily own one of them, at least one of the larger models. My own Hamburg Steinway C is a fabulous piano, second to none anywhere and has about as big a sound as my house can hold.

Was very disappointed by Horowitz' NY Steinway D when I played it a few years back. I think it had been reworked by the NY Steinway techs to make it a little less  aggressive and "Horowitzian". Nothing special, and certainly no competition for my own piano. But then I'm no Horowitz.

Have you ever played on a Wurlitzner???  and if so, go in depth.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 07:34:12 PM

Have you ever played on a Wurlitzner???  and if so, go in depth.
I finally got to ask: I have never heard of "Wurlitzner". There is a company called "Wurlitzer", but they are mostly known for their electric organs. Their pianos are not considered to be particularly good, but correct me if I'm wrong - they might have made some better ones a few decades ago.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 07:38:49 PM

Please don't ask! You'll start a flame war that has been fought many times.
But if you ask me, Bösendorfer is better on all levels  ;D ;D ;D

(Don't you just like such statements?)

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 07:52:54 PM

I finally got to ask: I have never heard of "Wurlitzner". There is a company called "Wurlitzer", but they are mostly known for their electric organs. Their pianos are not considered to be particularly good, but correct me if I'm wrong - they might have made some better ones a few decades ago.

lol actually i believe you are right.  I'm not very familar with the "wurlitzer" (thanks for the correction)  but i do know that the piano i played on was brand new.  and it was wonderful.  maybe they have made poor pianos, but the new ones (or the ones i've played on) were exceptional.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 07:59:07 PM

lol actually i believe you are right.  I'm not very familar with the "wurlitzer" (thanks for the correction)  but i do know that the piano i played on was brand new.  and it was wonderful.  maybe they have made poor pianos, but the new ones (or the ones i've played on) were exceptional.
I believe Baldwin makes, or at least distributes, Wurlitzer pianos, but I don't think they have anything that's larger than 5'8". I'm still kind of puzzled.

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 08:03:21 PM

I believe Baldwin makes, or at least distributes, Wurlitzer pianos, but I don't think they have anything that's larger than 5'8". I'm still kind of puzzled.

well thank you... now you have me guessing lol.  From what i remember, the guy told me it was a wurlitzer.  It was 9 feet.  concert grande.  I could be mistaken though.  i dont believe it was a kawai, but now i'm going to have to call him and see, so once i do i'll have to post again.  I'm pretty sure i'm right though.

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 08:23:20 PM

Wow...ok i just called them and i found out..the 130,000 was a hand crafted Kawai EX.  The other piano that i played was a 90,000 hand crafted wurlitzer.  i believe it was smaller like you said.  ii also played on some limited edition Kawai grand hand crafted pianos.  

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 09:49:31 PM
Now I am curious. As far as I know, Baldwin's only 9' grand in production is the SD-10. I am not aware that they make Wurlitzer-branded 9' grand. It would be nice to know if the 9' Wurlitzer is new or used (year of manufacture). Thanks. :)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 01:54:15 PM

I've never played on one, but my ex-piano teacher played on one and loved it as well.  They have some that have 8 extra keys on the bass side, which makes them quite tasteful.  have you ever played on a wurlitzner?  If not you should.  They are very nice pianos.  The one i played on had a very rich lovely sound.  

ok i don't know how an extra 8 notes would make it any better to play on, sure it's cool but not of a great use i would think. no i don't think i've played on a wurlitzner, haven't heard of one til this thread, i swear they don't exist in australia. before coming here the extent of my knowledge of piano makers was steinway, yamaha, kawai and several random ones, how unknowledgable am i! basically steinways are the almighty praise pianos down under, but i'd really like to try some others if they're around...

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 02:38:52 PM

ok i don't know how an extra 8 notes would make it any better to play on, sure it's cool but not of a great use i would think.

I think the main purpose of the extra notes is to add resonance to the piano.  When the strings of the extra bass notes vibrate sympathetically with other notes, there should be a fuller tone.  The Bosendorfers I've played have had an incredibly resonant tone to them (much more so than any other piano), but I'm not sure if that's more due to the extra bass notes or the design of the instrument.

- Saturn

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 04:39:32 PM

I think the main purpose of the extra notes is to add resonance to the piano.  When the strings of the extra bass notes vibrate sympathetically with other notes, there should be a fuller tone.  The Bosendorfers I've played have had an incredibly resonant tone to them (much more so than any other piano), but I'm not sure if that's more due to the extra bass notes or the design of the instrument.
Saturn

Beyond adding more resonance, I believe the original intent was to allow pieces by Bartok and Ravel and other modern composers to be played. They make use of additional notes in the bass register.
What I find really funnny though is that they are either painted black and/or covered with a piece of cloth so as to not confuse the average pianist  ;D

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 05:49:06 PM
Now I am curious. As far as I know, Baldwin's only 9' grand in production is the SD-10. I am not aware that they make Wurlitzer-branded 9' grand. It would be nice to know if the 9' Wurlitzer is new or used (year of manufacture). Thanks. :)

Well as far as i've been told they dont make a 9'.  I was mistaken.  They do make smaller grandes though, and that was the one i was talking about.  I dont know much about them.

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2004, 02:12:51 PM

- Saturn

oh ok that sounds yum :) don't you find the perfect way to describe pianos and their music as 'yum'? now i just need to go find a bosendorfer and play one...

Spatula

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2004, 09:39:12 PM
My most fav sounding piano was the one I performed my Gr 8 Exam on, don't know what brand : ( but it was I think a 5 1/2 ' grand piano with a perfect and delicate sound to it.   I guess just because the bigger the piano, doesn't necessarily translate to a better sound, even though they might be made the same year, same condition...l

Offline penelope

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 10:33:57 AM
Sauter  :D

Offline argerich_smitten

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2004, 07:35:20 AM
I played on this young chang one time........

Offline Goldberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 08:41:25 AM
There are a few which come to mind. When I first started playing, I was absolutely overwhelmed when I came across a brand new Steinway D in a shop in New Mexico (it was the first concert grand I'd ever seen, let alone play). It was absolutely perfect, even by my standards today. But, not my favourite.
Others include a wonderful, wonderful Bechstein in the Klavierhaus in New York, a Dakota something or other special edition Steinway at Steinway Hall, and a few other D's as well from various places around the U.S. But my absolute favourite piano so far is a special Chopin edition Bosendorfer which I saw at a local store here. I understand there are only 7 in the world...the one I played on was beyond perfect. It was one of those pianos you just can't stop playing.
I also very much enjoy the Millennium edition Bosendorfers, of which I've played two.

Offline Piazzo22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 01, 2004, 07:52:36 AM
The best piano I ever played is an old August Förster (Löbau) "concert" upright.
I´ve practiced on some Yamaha and Kawai grands and on a Steinway NY.
August Förster upright, still my favourite.
I would like to play a new August Förster grand. Can´t Imagine!!
August Förster (Löbau) owner.

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 09:54:56 PM
Fazioli F-228. Played two, both superb in every measure (except their price tags). ;D

Also a rebuilt Hamburg Steinway Model D in KlavierHaus in New York. (Wish I could spend more time with it to try its limits, to see how far I could take it.)

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: August 06, 2004, 11:34:35 PM
By far the best piano I have ever played is a Steinway Model D.  It had an awesome feel and beautiful tone.  I have never yet had the opportunity to try a Bosendorfer but but would like to.
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: August 15, 2004, 02:19:08 AM
I just played on a Steingraeber & Sohne (that's not a Steinway, it's leagues above  :)), about 6 feet long, and it was simply the most incredible piano I've ever played.

It felt like instead of one cohesive piano, each note was a seperate instrument. It felt like I was conducting an orchestra rather than playing on a piano. This allowed for the most stunning counterpoint and voicing I've ever encountered on any piano.

The dynamic range is incredible, but pounding the hell out of the thing still produces a beautiful, singing tone. You can play pianissimo with such splended magnificence...

And most incredibly, it was absolutely effortless. I've never felt such control over the sound I produced. Some pianos require adjusting to, but the only adjusting needed with this was not to get hung up on every single note because they are all so beautiful.

Not only is this piano good for solo practice, but it's incredible for chamber music as well. I don't understand it, but even when you play as loud as you can, you'd still hear a pindrop from across the room. Rather than drowning everything with it's power, it seems to flood and flow and enrich all the other musical instruments near it.

The one catch is that it cost about 75,000 USD. But if I could buy this piano one day, I'd just retire right then and there.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Goldberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2004, 06:09:36 PM
I wanted to add a more recent discovery. I went to the local store again a few days ago and saw this absolutely wonderful Bechstein. It was used, and it really needed a tuning (even my non-musical dad could tell) but MAN could that thing make music. Usually, out of tune pianos put me off, but I couldn't stop playing it, and after a while, its tuning didn't matter one bit...because it had such TONE that I'd rarely heard before. Bechsteins are so incredibly beautiful....I must say, if I'd played more of them (only two so far) I would probably name it as my favourite. For now, I can really only call it "better than Steinway" lol.
I do wonder if anyone knows how much such a Bechstein would cost, though. It was about the size of a Steinway B, maybe just a bit less (well, let's just say it's around 6 ft) and was 20 years old, but had ivory keys. I haven't been able to find the information anywhere, so could someone first tell me how much a new one might go for, and then perhaps how much the used one could be, if fairly priced.

Offline mitchking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 08:58:39 AM
One of the nicest pianos i've ever heard is in my living room, a 7'2" August Forster, a new one.  Every note is really nice, especially in the base section.  I also have a good Bosendorfer 200CS (about 2 years old) in the master bedroom but it isn't as strong as the Forster but it is 5" shorter.  Bosendorfer tends to be a softer and maybe a prettier tone, definitely not as loud of a piano, an excellent piano for a home.  The spruce rim keeps Bosendorfers on the quieter and mellower side.  I have a 6' C. Bechstein grand that has the typical Bechstein sound.  It is bright but I like the C. Bechstein sound.  I also have a Bluthner 6'3" restored that sounds almost as good as a new one but not quiet as clear but it costs 35k less too.   I've had two Steinways in the past that I don't think come close to any European luxury piano.  The best Steinway I've heard is a Hamburg D at the Benaroya Hall in Seattle 2 months ago.  I heard the Hamburg D Steinway at Carnegie is heavenly from a concert artist.  Anyone interested in the Bluthner, I'll sell it for $18k. ;)

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: August 21, 2004, 12:56:50 PM
Steinway Model D (NY and Hamburg)
Bosendorfer M290 (with the extra keys)
Fazioli F278
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: August 21, 2004, 05:26:10 PM
One of the nicest pianos i've ever heard is in my living room, a 7'2" August Forster, a new one.  Every note is really nice, especially in the base section.  I also have a good Bosendorfer 200CS (about 2 years old) in the master bedroom but it isn't as strong as the Forster but it is 5" shorter.  Bosendorfer tends to be a softer and maybe a prettier tone, definitely not as loud of a piano, an excellent piano for a home.  The spruce rim keeps Bosendorfers on the quieter and mellower side.  I have a 6' C. Bechstein grand that has the typical Bechstein sound.  It is bright but I like the C. Bechstein sound.  I also have a Bluthner 6'3" restored that sounds almost as good as a new one but not quiet as clear but it costs 35k less too.   I've had two Steinways in the past that I don't think come close to any European luxury piano.  The best Steinway I've heard is a Hamburg D at the Benaroya Hall in Seattle 2 months ago.  I heard the Hamburg D Steinway at Carnegie is heavenly from a concert artist.  Anyone interested in the Bluthner, I'll sell it for $18k. ;)

ARE YOU RICH???  How in the world do you have pianos like that in your own house!  I'm very jealous

Offline Ashley_Steinway

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 11:07:32 PM
Well, I have a Steinway D in my bedroom, and two C's in the Spare bedrooms. A Boesendorfer Chrysler Edition for show in the drawing room, and a 290SE in the study, just for practise. I have a 7' Bluthner in the orangery, and another Steinway D in the master bedroom.

Now all of that sarcasm was just so I could vent my envy, toward you.

I think you are living out all of our dreams.

Anywho, the nicest piano I have played is a Steinway Model C at school. It is 85 yrs old, so a good period, but battered by the musically illiterate students. I hate them. But still, I love the piano.

Aah, I long for the day I get to go to Steinway London. Oh wait, I'm going Monday!! YAY!

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: August 26, 2004, 05:39:13 AM

They are made in China now.
Wynne

Spatula

Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 12:57:53 AM
Crazy chinese pianos, just like every chinese product: cheap

Offline mozartgonebad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: August 28, 2004, 01:53:11 AM
the nicest piano ive played on was in a competition...
fazioli grand, not sure what model, but it looked like a F280 or a F308...
~~*GOOD QUOTES*~~

"There are more bad musicians than there is bad music."
--Isaac Stern"

"There are still so many beautiful things to be said in C major."
-- Sergei Prokofiev

Offline schmetterling

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: August 28, 2004, 06:10:55 PM
The most beautiful piano I frequently play on is my teacher's K.Kawai grand. It's got just the most beautiful and majestic tone. I'm absolutely in love with her piano!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: August 29, 2004, 04:58:40 PM
I've now fallen in love with the old Kawaii upright in the basement of my dormitory. It's terribly out of tune, and although the action is relatively light, it doesn't go much higher than mezzo forte. I like it because it has a very even (if lousy) tone, and the action is also very even. If I can make music from this junk heap, then I know I'll be phenominal on any other piano. It's the most wonderful thing to practice on in the world, and I can practice on it literally any time of day (I playing 'till 2 in the morning yesterday!).

Mmmm...  ;D
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline larse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: August 31, 2004, 12:47:17 AM
Steinway and Sohns...A model from 1884 (exactly 100 years older than me). It was like a dream, and because of an unfixable hole in the bottom, it costed only 40,000 NOK ~ 5000 USD. If I had the money I would have owned it...

Offline chopinrules2005

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: September 14, 2004, 11:10:05 AM
Granted it was in a piano showroom which was pretty dry, I know that this piano would have shined in a concert hall..

A $60,000 Baldwin concert grand.... beats the hell out of the Baldwin E-101 I have now. (Upright)

I'd give my life to win the lotto and have my own grand piano and music hall :=) (just kidding)

Offline chopin_girl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: October 14, 2004, 10:19:10 PM
that would be a grand concert steinway and sons
in tuzla,bosnia herzegovina.
that is the youngest grand concert piano in ex-yugoslavia.

i also played on a wonderful bösendorfer in zagreb,croatia.
"As this cough will choke me, I implore you to have my body opened, so that I may not be buried alive." - Chopin's last written words

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: October 15, 2004, 10:30:18 AM
Top Three:

1. Fazioli, the grand right before F308 (I think it's the F278)

2. Hamburg Steinway D

3. Hamburg Steinway C

I also like Bosendorfers a lot but I prefer the Hamburg Steinway touch and tone. I don't like NY Steinways, and especially not Horowitz's one (eg his Rach 3s with Mehta and Ormandy or his Liszt HR2.... ugh).
Fortune favours the musical.

Shagdac

Reply #44 on: October 17, 2004, 02:43:29 AM
Just yesterday, I went into a new Piano Gallery where they sell all different high end pianos. I played for quite awhile on a CBechstein, Forster and Bosendorffer (sp)Grands. Really enjoyed them all. The Bechstein (I thought) had a really rich tone. Very $$$$. The Bechstein was probably my favorite. There's a 8-9' Kawai I get to play on every week at a music store that lets me use there recital hall just to practice a few hours...thats really nice too, but nothing like the Bechstein. I'd like to have one, but would first have to buy a bigger house to put it in! ;)

S :)

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: October 17, 2004, 09:47:21 AM
Just a comment to tashs_tiara, I'm from Sydney as well, and the only time I've seen a Boesendorfer in Sydney was when they once sponsored the Sydney International Piano Competition - unfortunately, they didn't provide instruments for the 2004 competition.  But I played a lovely Boesendorfer in London a few years ago and totally fell in love with it.  A lot of people in Australia have never heard of Boesendorfers.  It is a shame that Steinways, Yamahas and Kawais are the only pianos people think are good here.  However, one of my friends has played a Boesendorfer in Sydney, so I don't think they're impossible to get - probably if you buy a second hand one that someone has imported.

Offline Floristan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: October 29, 2004, 03:46:50 PM

Being Australian, have you ever played a Stuart & Sons piano?  The 2.9 meter model is supposedly significantly better than the Bosendorfer Imperial.  There are almost none outside Australia, apparently.  Maybe you could locate one, give it a try, and report back.  I'd love to get a first-hand account of this piano.

Offline ivoryplayer4him

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: November 06, 2004, 02:21:33 AM
Hey just to update everyone lol  I'm about to play on a $100,000 bosendorfer (Spelling?)  but id otn know what model or anything.  I know its gold.  thats about it.  Its at the university and i'll be playing on it in December so i'll let y'all know just as soon as i find out.

Offline LJC

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 07:29:09 PM
I really like the S&S D (Hamburg) I just bought. When in college there was a particular S&S B I liked better than the others and there was a Mason and Hamlin BB that was superb. My professor had a Yamaha C3 which I was impressed with at the time but it was not the best, just very good. Having read the other comments I would most like to try the big Fazioli. I like the sound of the Bosendorfer Imperial too. Personally I'd like to own one of each and I think that would be the only way to say I had the best piano.

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: November 14, 2004, 10:17:46 AM
I recently played at a competition in Mumbai where i played on a Grotrian Steinweg.
I have no words for it! It was simply superb! The touch was light (you felt like flying on it), the tone was lovely and surprisingly, the sound was quite big (despite the light touch). Don't know its cost though!
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert