Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: history of PSF thread/ sticky  (Read 2923 times)

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
history of PSF thread/ sticky
on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:06 PM
Has anyone tried to do this before? In a few years, it may be necessary to educate newcomers (and reappeared old members). I'm thinking, at the very least, a sort of intro and welcome to the forum. General rules. Who's who. Who owns the place? Who are the mods? Who are the most respected members? Who are best avoided? Who are the newest active members? Something like that.
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: history of PSF thread/ sticky
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:32:36 PM
With a forum of 33,329 members at present, it would be difficult to keep tally on who's the old members and new members, unless we check their profiles.  Usually at the bottom of the Piano Forum page, or in chat room, a member can check the user's profile by clicking the user's name and then the profiles appears, and that quickly determines the date the member got registared and that indicates on whether a member is new or old.  Also, most members do not indicate where they are from, age and gender because of the Internet.

If a member wants to find a profile of a member, there is a group of smaller tabs where  "piano forum ", "help" "search", "profile", "my messages" and "members" are located beneath your "hello ____!"  If  a member wants to look up someone, click on "members" and a long list appears on the screen.  So to find a specific member, just click on search for a member, type in the members' user name in the space box, then their profile pops up for viewing.  And at the bottom of the member's profile you can send that member a personal message, or look up what they have already posted, which are up to date.  Also, on the profile, it shows the date when a member was last logged in too.  When I first joined, I just clicked here and there in order to get familiar with the forum.  The "help" tab has a lot of information for new members to browse through. 

Now, about PS, a member can look at the top of the forum page and there are tabs in which says:  Home (an brief introduction and where members log in) and the tab "about", click on that, and there pops up  a more detailed information about PS "about us", "news", "faq"(frequently asked questions), "forum rules", "links"
"mobile"  and "contact". 

I think after joining PS, it takes a few weeks to know which members are active and which are not as acitive by viewing their posts and where the users names are listed at the bottom of the Piano Forum page.  Also, in chat room, there is an opportunity to meet and greet new members, find out where they are from and check their profile quickly to determine if the user has joined recently.  It's a large forum, but some of the members I have noticed, have formed friendships over time(hence the edit buddy list by your profile), and that can be gratifying too because of the shared interests of music and piano playing.

It's hard to know which member to avoid and who are most respected, probably it would have to be up to the the member's descretion by meeting other members through being an active in the forum. 

best regards,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:45:26 PM
Yes, that's true. I was just thinking how recently, the question came up in another thread who bernhard was. There are many such members who made contributions to the forum, and just knowing their names would make searching this forum a lot easier/ more interesting.

I'm sure you know nils owns the place, but how long did it take?
Do you know pianistimo? m1469? G.W.K.? How about pokeythepenguin, and all his previous names? lucylucy? tds? Do you know what The Spa and The Zone were? Do you know about the wars on Hanon and Czerny?
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:57:33 PM
Yes, that's true. I was just thinking how recently, the question came up in another thread who bernhard was. There are many such members who made contributions to the forum, and just knowing their names would make searching this forum a lot easier/ more interesting.

I'm sure you know nils owns the place, but how long did it take?
Do you know pianistimo? m1469? G.W.K.? How about pokeythepenguin, and all his previous names? lucylucy? tds? Do you know what The Spa and The Zone were? Do you know about the wars on Hanon and Czerny?

Perhaps, db, you can post about these members for us new members here and enlighten us about them.  go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:06 PM
It is certainly the case that active members - that is to say (for example) those who have contributed more than two posts per month - comprise but a tiny minority of this forum (that's just an observation, not a criticism); were they in the majority, the forum content would be colossal.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline arumih

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:26 PM
Here's another take on things. I don't think it certainly represents any sort of majority, but perhaps there are users (like myself) who are mainly readers. I've been playing piano for a little over 2 years now, and I've been reading the PSF for perhaps that same length of time. I come to the forum on a daily basis, sometimes have a peruse through the current topics, or if I'm experiencing a specific problem, have a search through the forum to look for possible solutions.

I've read most of bernhard's big posts, I've read (perhaps ad nauseum) everything about Hanon, Czerny and all those other sorts of wars. I've noticed which users are insightful, inflammatory, 'know' the regular posters, and whose replies to a topic to consider seriously. I've also listened to a lot of the recordings posted in the audition room. All I've not done is posted!

I don't see the need to because firstly, a lot of the questions people ask can be sorted by either a quick search of google, or by just typing in a few key words in the forum search. Also, there are a lot more knowledgeable people than me on this forum who can answer questions in a much better way. I also just like reading about the experiences of fellow pianists especially those much more experienced than me. I also have a teacher, so I don't have a lot of those questions which people who don't have teachers always seem to be asking. Perhaps there might be other members like myself out there. There should be no worries I think of the board dying, or decrying the lack of posting. If people just posted for the sake of posting, nothing constructive would be said in the end.

However, I do wish people would post more lol. Gets kinda boring seeing the same sort of topics everyday. Always great to get a hilarious (but somewhat worthless) topic a la Hinty and Mr Logic (no offense to anyone, that thread was just pure comic genius!). Maybe for my part I might try to be a bit more active.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert