Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Sonata or Liszt Sonata - which is harder?  (Read 11114 times)

Offline ivoree

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Sonata or Liszt Sonata - which is harder?
on: April 02, 2009, 11:15:42 AM
https://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/stephen_hough/blog/2009/04/01/why_the_chopin_b_minor_sonata_is_harder_than_the_liszt_b_minor_sonata

I just read this blog by Stephen Hough. Quite interesting! Not sure I agree though ...

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Sonata or Liszt Sonata - which is harder?
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:36:37 PM
I definitely agree.

Offline jbb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:47:28 AM
I don't.  I think the Liszt is by far the greater work, and more difficult to pull off.  If you follow a link in the thread, he ranks it "5/10" in technical difficulty, with the notion that most concert-level pianists would consider it to be of that average difficulty, and that the Chopin is much more (technically) difficult.  What's rather silly about all of this is that, depending on hand sizes, shapes, and what comes easier/harder to different concert-level pianists, many would consider the Liszt much more difficult (technically).  In fact most pianists I know think the 2nd Chopin sonata is much harder than the 3rd.  It's all individual and there are no general rules.  A very accomplished Russian concert artist once told me she considers the Liszt Sonata to be the hardest work in the [normal] repertoire, and her technique is by no means any less stellar than Mr. Hough's (look up the Mendelssohn/Rachmaninov Scherzo on Youtube by Nina Lelchuk).

Offline imbetter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:12:32 PM
Not only is the Liszt better, but it's much harder. Case closed.
"My advice to young musicians: Quit music! There is no choice. It has to be a calling, and even if it is and you think there's a choice, there is no choice"-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:59:34 PM
Depends entirely upon tempo and technical strengths.

The Liszt is harder either if you have poor octaves or if you choose a demanding/competitive tempo.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
Hough is simply using a good article writing strategy.  Making a very unconventional claim is a common way of getting people to read your article.  "10 diet foods that actually make you fat" and things like that.  People are intrigued when things that "everyone knows" are challenged and claimed to be wrong.  People just adore it. 

Offline alkanian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:24:25 PM
In terms of technical difficulty, the Liszt sonata would be harder. While the Chopin sonata is certainly difficult, it just doesn't compare.

Offline xelios

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:37:26 PM
Interesting article. I agree, and I think Chopin's is also the better one.

Offline lohshuhan

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:15:41 AM
Technicality would have to be liszt.  But the chopin 2nd is one complex work if you wish to pull it off well. 

Offline ara9100

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:08:01 AM
They are both Masterpieces in their own way. Liszt piano sonata calls for a great amount of technical prowess,
 but once you have mastered the there isnt much left to do you play what is written. The chopin is also difficult technically especially if you have small hands, But it takes a lot more than just learning the notes. To achieve the delicate style of Chopin is not an easy feat. I would say thatopin 2nd piano sonata is the more difficult if his sonatas,especially the Funeral march, because everyone has heard it a million times.

I am a Chopin fan, though i still hold Liszt very high up, because he made monumental changes and improvements to music.
(just adding this as a precaution, in case anyone decides that it is wise to attack my opinions.)  :)

Ara.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert