Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Did you Know???  (Read 92723 times)

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Did you Know???
Reply #600 on: January 22, 2013, 04:57:59 AM
Did you know that there is an alternative to Wikipedia in which EVERYTHING is deliberately misspelled? It's called Wikipeetia.

Here's an article about the instrument we all play: Pieno.

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #601 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:35 AM
Did you know that there is an alternative to Wikipedia in which EVERYTHING is deliberately misspelled? It's called Wikipeetia.

Here's an article about the instrument we all play: Pieno.

Paul

LLO. Sevrall pipplee hree (miselph icclouded, et thymes  :-[ ) cood rite fur itt.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #602 on: January 23, 2013, 12:30:44 PM
Did you know '&' was once the 27th letter of the alphabet.   

https://hotword.dictionary.com/ampersand/#8kl6tjzr3poIj7Zo.16

Did you know a human of average weight with size 9 (Aus) feet running at 80Km/h can run on water.

https://sciencefocus.com/qa/how-fast-would-i-have-run-run-over-water
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #603 on: January 27, 2013, 01:39:52 PM
- Did you know that online language translators have improved? I remember using them when they first came out and they where quite inaccurate, now they are quite good.

- Saviez-vous que les traducteurs de langue en ligne se sont améliorées? Je me souviens de les utiliser quand ils sont sortis et ils où tout à fait inexact, maintenant, ils sont très bons.

- Wussten Sie, dass die Online-Übersetzern verbessert haben? Ich erinnere mich mit ihnen, wenn sie zum ersten Mal aus und sie waren ziemlich ungenau, jetzt sind sie ziemlich gut.

- ¿Sabía usted que los traductores de idiomas en línea han mejorado? Recuerdo con ellos cuando salieron por primera vez y se en donde muy inexacto, ya que son bastante buenos.

- Знаете ли вы, что онлайн-переводчики языка улучшилось? Я помню их использовании, когда они впервые пришли, и они где довольно неточными, теперь они довольно хорошо.

etc etc :)

translate.google.com

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #604 on: January 27, 2013, 05:56:52 PM
- Did you know that online language translators have improved? I remember using them when they first came out and they where quite inaccurate, now they are quite good.

With my language they are still pretty bad...I needed to read an article on a Brasialian website recently and what came out from the translator was incomprehensible. When I did again to English I could read it easily. I also sometimes receive e-mail from French people and knowing I don't speak French they have used a translator and I often can't even figure out what they actually want .

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #605 on: January 27, 2013, 06:09:33 PM
When Horowitz daughter died, he never left the house for like 10 years.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #606 on: January 27, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

Google Translate is especially good at neutral business texts, but don't feed it idioms and stuff. For example:
https://translate.google.com/#ru/en/%D0%AF%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%20%D1%8D%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BC%20%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%20%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%BA%D1%83%20%D1%81%D1%8A%D0%B5%D0%BB
The right translation should read something like: I know the ropes.
P.S.: Just in case: Russians do NOT eat dogs!

Paul
Account discontinued.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #607 on: January 27, 2013, 08:03:25 PM
Anonymous just took down the US department of justices website HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #608 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:29 AM
- Did you know America has a lot of proven government conspiracies throughout its history? It is a little frightening that this is a pattern and obviously it has not stopped (see 911 https://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=961 ). What is even more disturbing is that the US government knows how to confuse things even more by perpetuating conspiracy theories of their own to mix it all up. Sneaky but not sneaky enough.

https://www.phibetaiota.net/2012/02/owl-33-conspiracy-theories-proven-true-many-with-government-betrayal-of-public-trust-as-central-feature/

I like these forum, full of very intelligent members who spend a lot of their life researching trying to unearth the truth. It is amazing how screwed up and controlled media is in the US.

https://www.drjudywood.com/
www.letsrollforums.com/
https://cluesforum.info
www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #609 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:45 AM
It is amazing how screwed up and controlled media is in the US.

Ah, but it's screwed up and contraolled by Rupert, for whom they can not wholly be blamed.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #610 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:04 AM
Controlled by the CIA I think controlling lots of puppets.
www.pianovision.com

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #611 on: February 01, 2013, 01:37:46 AM

Try putting japanese in the mix! Forget it.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #613 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:38 AM
https://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83058630/?autoplay=true

Is it weird that I pointed out everything except the bank vs river?  Maybe I've just spent too much time doing weird puzzles...

BTW, the book at the end, the author is a very interesting person. He researches behavioral economics.  I took a class that was almost solely based on his research. One of the things was about large losses/gains vs multiple small losses/gains.  People are happier gaining $1 three times than getting 3$ once. People are happier losing $3 once than losing $1 three times.

People are weird.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #614 on: February 02, 2013, 05:47:08 AM

People are weird.

Actually not...evolution has made them how they are to better adapt the weird life they live  ;D

I'm just afraid that evolution is not fast enough to keep up what's going on...

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #615 on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:32 PM
I'm just afraid that evolution is not fast enough to keep up what's going on...

Nah, we just control our own evolution now :P
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #616 on: February 03, 2013, 12:17:27 AM
Did you know my cousin is portrayed in the movie Black Hawk down?  He is the medic who attempts to save the wounded Ranger--did you know that it was all true--except Kurt was  Delta Force...in the battle of Mog. but in the movie he is portrayed as a Ranger medic...

true..."_"

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #617 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:22 PM
Did you know there is a body of water in space that has 140 trillion times the water we have on earth?

https://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/02/water-140-trillion-times-earths-oceans-surround-a-voracious-black-hole-at-the-edge-of-the-universe-t.html

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #618 on: February 07, 2013, 12:19:54 PM
Did you know that if space is truly infinite, probability dictates that there is an exact copy of you in the universe within 10 to the 10^28 meters of you, due to the finite possible arrangements of matter.

https://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/multiverse_sciam.pdf

note: I didn't read the pdf so possibly some aspect of the fact would be wrong.

JL

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #619 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:00 PM
Did you know there is a body of water in space that has 140 trillion times the water we have on earth?

https://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/02/water-140-trillion-times-earths-oceans-surround-a-voracious-black-hole-at-the-edge-of-the-universe-t.html
That is really amazing, I love space discoveries.

Did you know that if space is truly infinite, probability dictates that there is an exact copy of you in the universe within 10 to the 10^28 meters of you, due to the finite possible arrangements of matter.

https://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/multiverse_sciam.pdf

note: I didn't read the pdf so possibly some aspect of the fact would be wrong.

JL
If the universe was infinity then there would be infinity copies of ourselves.... The Poincaré conjecture which was incredibly solved by Grigori Perelman (an amazing person if you read about him) has ideas on the shape of the universe although trying to understand this maths requires a doctorate degree in the field!

www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #620 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:48 PM
If the universe was infinity then there would be infinity copies of ourselves....

Why? There are infinite prime numbers, but only one of them is 5.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #621 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:59 PM

I suspect if one can argue that a person (or anything) is a random occurance of a particular bunch of atoms/molecules/cells etc. then in an infinite universe we should see a second and third and ultimately an infinite number of identical occurrences..

Though there would of course be an absolutely staggering distance an time period between these occurrences..

In practice though, and in relation to current universe models it is probably also reasonable to argue that a second occurrence of a person will never happen, or is perhaps at least so improbable that its not worth entertaining the idea for most people.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #622 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:23 PM
I suspect if one can argue that a person (or anything) is a random occurance of a particular bunch of atoms/molecules/cells etc. then in an infinite universe we should see a second and third and ultimately an infinite number of identical occurrences..

There is also a small but finite possibility that any particular combination is in fact unique, and in an infinite universe there will be an infinite number of such combinations.

I'm one of them.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #623 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:08 AM
There is also a small but finite possibility that any particular combination is in fact unique, and in an infinite universe there will be an infinite number of such combinations.

I'm one of them.

Possible..  but I'm not as arrogant as you so I don't think I'm so significant  ;D

Though to be honest, if there is a probability of a second occurence of a person its probably so remote that its as unfathomable for a human as many other aspects of the universe. So really I think its fair to say we are unique.

Incidently, why prime numbers? would it really have been any different to say "there are infinite numbers, one of them is 5 etc."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #624 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:37 AM
Possible..  but I'm not as arrogant as you so I don't think I'm so significant  ;D

No doubt rightly.  :P

Incidently, why prime numbers?

Prime numbers seem especially unique, being without factors.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #625 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:19 AM
Prime numbers seem especially unique, being without factors.

Perhaps, but when considering a number as an absolute entity 6 is just as unique as 5... 

Maybe primes work when making a comparison with humans and the universe, where as composites would be appropriate for a discussion on amoebas.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #626 on: February 08, 2013, 01:01:10 AM
A universe which is infinity is so vast we can't even imagine it. It is so vast that what is impossible must be possible.  If the universe was infinity then pink dragons exist on a world made completely of diamonds even. Infinity allows the existence of everything your mind could imagine. There could be infinity alien civilisations that know of our existence and they all would be waging war on earth here lol.
www.pianovision.com

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #627 on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:36 AM
lol - well I suspect that based on our current understanding of the universe and experience of biology we may be able to say that such a thing is not possible..

However, I also think that despite the extraordinary amount that we've learnt we would be a little arrogant to suggest we know much at all, speaking as a civilization that has not yet left home...  not even under the supervision of a friends parents.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #628 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:48 AM
A universe which is infinity is so vast we can't even imagine it. It is so vast that what is impossible must be possible.  

Nonsense. What is impossible remains impossible. What is unlikely is bound to occur, but what cannot occur still does not.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #629 on: February 08, 2013, 01:16:42 AM
Nonsense. What is impossible remains impossible.

Ofcourse, but how do you define what's impossible. Our understanding is only based on our current (limited) experience/knowledge.

Edit: For the record my money isnt on pink dragons as a life form we'll find anytime soon.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #630 on: February 08, 2013, 01:23:16 AM
Ofcourse, but who defines what's impossible. Our understanding is only based on our current experience/knowledge.

Some things are logically impossible, and some things are comtrary to the laws of physics/chemistry/biology.

There is thus no creature that lives on a planet so hot that it cannot live on it, and nowhere in an infinite universe will you find a molecule of Argon Trioxide.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #631 on: February 08, 2013, 01:28:17 AM
If you want to be realistic then an infinite universe is as believable as pink dragons :)
www.pianovision.com

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #632 on: February 08, 2013, 01:42:31 AM
Some things are logically impossible, and some things are comtrary to the laws of physics/chemistry/biology.

There is thus no creature that lives on a planet so hot that it cannot live on it, and nowhere in an infinite universe will you find a molecule of Argon Trioxide.

I don't disagree with you, but I would maintain that this is entirely based on the scientific principles as learnt/discovered through our experiences on 1 planet..  out of (at least) thousands..

..and I'm not overly big on suggesting that I (or anyone) know things absolutely. Too often turns out I (they) didn't.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #633 on: February 08, 2013, 02:15:33 AM
If you want to be realistic then an infinite universe is as believable as pink dragons :)

Since the current position of physics is that there may well be an infinite number of finite universes, I'm not sure they would agree.

Oh, and you can tell the dragons - I don't like to upset them:

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #634 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:17 AM
The solution to the Poincaré conjecture highlights that you can in 3d space embrace the boundless thus an infinite universe is mathematically not true. But yeah who knows really ;)
www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #635 on: February 08, 2013, 05:14:10 AM
The solution to the Poincaré conjecture highlights that you can in 3d space embrace the boundless thus an infinite universe is mathematically not true. But yeah who knows really ;)

I had always understood (if that is not too strong a word) it to mean that the boundless may be embraced in 3d space, not that it must be, leaving an unbounded infinite space still possible. Whether from within the frame of reference of that space it is possible to tell whether or not it is bounded, I'm not sure.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #636 on: February 08, 2013, 06:32:13 AM
I think it would be foolish of us to try and work it out seriously but it is fun to try. I wont even pretend to understand the Poincaré Conjecture solution because it is so complicated.

The Big bang is generally the mainstream accepted theory for the start of the universe, so everything was first contracted at one point of singularity and expanded suddenly. So the universe is constantly expanding, it might react a maximum point of expansion then start contracting again until it reaches a point of singularity again and then the Big bang happens again and this process continues forever. If the universe is infinite then the Big bang makes no sense because how can you expand to infinity if it was not infinite to begin with? My brain explodes..... lol
www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #637 on: February 08, 2013, 06:46:13 AM
- Did you know that Mozart was a pervert? lol Is this real? I have to look into it... or... maybe not... yeah not.

https://www.cracked.com/article_18559_6-famous-geniuses-you-didnt-know-were-perverts.html
www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #638 on: February 08, 2013, 07:42:05 AM
- Did you know that sugar DOES NOT make children hyperactive?

https://theconversation.edu.au/mondays-medical-myth-sugar-makes-kids-hyperactive-1009
www.pianovision.com

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #639 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:30 AM
- Did you know that sugar DOES NOT make children hyperactive?

Sugar doesn't for sure, but my son became less "aggressive" since I started balancing his dairy intake. Seems to have something to do with the balance in the body between magnesium and calcium, which are each other's "enemies". High calcium level = low magnesium level = hyperactivity.

Paul
Account discontinued.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #640 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:58 PM
Hayden invented the shower?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #641 on: February 10, 2013, 01:38:38 AM
Did you know about this site? It gives a perspective how small the sun is.

https://htwins.net/scale2/

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #642 on: February 11, 2013, 04:43:44 AM
- Did you know that Mozart was a pervert? lol Is this real? I have to look into it... or... maybe not... yeah not.

https://www.cracked.com/article_18559_6-famous-geniuses-you-didnt-know-were-perverts.html

I remember hearing that about him.  Music history class.  Um... Thanks, Mozart.  That's... something, isn't it?

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #643 on: February 11, 2013, 04:54:47 AM
I remember hearing that about him.  Music history class.  Um... Thanks, Mozart.  That's... something, isn't it?

Wow!
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #645 on: February 11, 2013, 01:22:19 PM
Maybe it's a language thing?  According to that wikipedia page, the composition is "*I disagree*."  That's a different meaning than the Cracked article, at least for how I'm viewing the title.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #646 on: February 15, 2013, 03:45:48 PM

- Did you know "Statistically, Alaskan crab fishing remains one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States? In 2006, the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranked commercial fishing as the job occupation with the highest fatality rate with 141.7 per 100,000, almost 75 percent higher than the rate for pilots, flight engineers and loggers, the next most hazardous occupations. However, Alaskan crab fishing specifically is even more dangerous with over 300 fatalities per 100,000. Over 80% of these deaths are caused by drowning or hypothermia. The fishermen are also susceptible to crippling injuries caused by working with heavy machinery and gear."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_king_crab_fishing
www.pianovision.com

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #647 on: February 18, 2013, 12:58:28 AM
Rhymes you likely did not know:

Orange: Blorenge (1,833 ft hill near Abergaveny, Wales) and Gorringe (Rare Sussex surname)
Silver: Chilver (Ewe Mutton)
Month: Grunth (Alt. spelling of Granth, a sacred text of some sort)
Fugue: Joug (Shackles)
Sirens: Gyrons (Medals)
Opus: Hoppus (Measure of wood)
Purple: Herpal (Relating to Herpes), Hirple (Walk with a limp), Curple (An insult)
Wasp: Knosp (Ornament)
Aitch (Letter H): Rache (part of the face) and Nache (Rear end)
Chaos: Naos (Inner part of a temple shrine)
Fiend: Tiend (Spelling of Teind, a tithe) and piend (Name for a hip rafter)
Circle: Hurkle (Pull with all one's muscles)
Rhythm: Smitham (Smithereens, basically)
Music: Dysgeusic (Bitter)

Sadly, I knew these by heart. Why? I once wrote a poem using all but the wasp-knosp pair. Even sadder? The poem made sense, and had a plot.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #648 on: February 19, 2013, 06:17:09 AM
- Did you know that I am curious to read that poem?

-Did you know that on February 15, 2013 in Russia, NASA scientists say a 7,000-ton chunk of space rock hurtled out of the sky at 40,000 miles an hour, exploding over the Ural Mountains, spraying debris for miles around and, amazingly, killing no one. The shock wave injured hundreds of people about 54 miles away in the industrial city of Chelyabinsk.

It exploded miles above Earth, releasing nearly 500 kilotons of energy - about 30 times the size of the nuclear bomb dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in World War Two, NASA added.

"We would expect an event of this magnitude to occur once every 100 years on average," said Paul Chodas of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/world/europe/russians-seek-clues-and-count-blessings-after-meteor-blast.html?_r=0

https://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/16/us-russia-meteorite-idUSBRE91E05Z20130216
www.pianovision.com

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #649 on: February 19, 2013, 06:23:55 AM
Did you know that illinium used to be what is now known as technetium on the periodic table?

Did you know that there is a lake in Russia that, if you stand on the shore for an hour, you will die?

(Also, I can PM the poem.)
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert