Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin Prelude in E minor, Opus 11, 4  (Read 5200 times)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin Prelude in E minor, Opus 11, 4
on: April 26, 2009, 03:55:22 AM
When I heard this piece, I fell in love with it, and it seemed like a piece I have always known.  I hope you like it, too.

Yamaha M302 with the Edirol R-09 HR.

Edit:  I rerecorded to rectify the E#.  The original recording was downloaded 19 times.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin Prelude in E minor, Opus 11, 4
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:40:22 AM
You play this very beautifully! just two things: in m. 4 and 12 it should be E sharp, not E on the two last counts. And for my taste, I wouldn't slow down so much at the end, but that's perhaps just me. Very good work!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:34:04 PM
Hi goldentone,

This is indeed a very good rendition of this prelude, which, I think, suggests a lament.  You etch the melodic line nicely throughout and pay close attention to touch--legato, tenuto, portato, etc.  Very good work!

I read in the Dover Edition (based on the Music Publishing House Edition, Moscow) that the prelude's theme actually comes from a fragment of an unfinished Ballade from 1888. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:57 PM
Thanks so much for the compliment, Wolfi!  I rerecorded to rectify the E#.  And it of course sounds better.  You have good ears. :)  I agree with you on the ending, and on the new recording I don't slow down as much.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
Thank you very much, Rachfan!  It is nice to hear that I've paid attention to details.  I started work on this at the end of March, so it came together rather quickly.  That is interesting about it originating from one of his Ballades.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:34 PM
Yeah now it sounds right, with the e# :) And now I definitely like more how you play the ending, it's much more coherent. :)

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:40:08 AM
Hi Goldentone, I have just listened to this a few times in a row now (as a matter of fact I have it on repeat on my mp3 player, at the moment).  What a very cool prelude !  I appreciate your thoughtful playing - I will look forward to hearing more from you.  If you don't mind sharing, I wonder if you could tell why you chose this one ?

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:58:24 AM
Hi Karli,

Thank you. :)  I happened upon this prelude while searching for a recording of the other Scriabin I have been working on, listening to the sample tracks on Amazon.  I listened to it a few times, and liked it enough to buy it.  I fell in love with it.  And here it is. :) 

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 12:15:06 AM
Hi goldentone,   This is a very nice piece by Scriabin and I like it too!  I like it's reflectiveness throughout the piece and overall calmness.  You played it very well,  Thank you for sharing it!

best wishes,  :)

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:12 AM
Thank you, go. :)  I'm glad you liked it. 

Offline faj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 11:30:22 AM
You made me want to learn this piece ! thanks for sharing. very nice

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:50:35 AM
Thanks, Faj. :)

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 11:34:59 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by this piece, as I don't like much of Scriabin's work.  But this is very enjoyable, and very well played as well.  thanks for sharing it!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:32:32 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by this piece, as I don't like much of Scriabin's work.  But this is very enjoyable, and very well played as well.  thanks for sharing it!

Thank you, scottmcc.  Glad to open a door for you with Scriabin.  I like Scriabin up to the point where he departs from his romanticism.  You might find there is more from him that you'll like. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert