Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann piano pieces - advice  (Read 2586 times)

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Schumann piano pieces - advice
on: May 21, 2009, 02:40:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I plan to take my first Schumann piano piece (I only played his first Violin Sonata)
I'm still searching, I had a look on Kreislerliana, Kinderszenen, Davidsbundlertanze,...
What do you think would be a good choice for concerts and competitions?
Honnestly, i like the most the Kinderszenen, because they are so 'simple' and nostalgic. But aren't they considered as a bit childisch too in the repertoire?

Please give your opinion :)
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann piano pieces - advice
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:21:14 PM
While the Kinderszenen might be good in a recital, I'm not sure about a competition. Look also at Carnival.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:49 PM
You should take a look at the Carnival Jest from Vienna and the Symphonic Etudes. both great works. If you are looking for something on the easier side, check out Waldszenen.
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:29:04 AM
Papillons is a great work too!

Kreisleriana is awesome, I'd recommend it!  I haven't played the whole thing, but I loved learning the sections that I finished.

His Toccata is very cool to listen to; I'm not sure at what level you can play, but that beast would leave an impression at a concert/competition.  The Toccata sounds very happy and uplifting, but the notes are rediculous.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:00:23 PM
Thanks. A pity about the Kinderszenen, i like them a lot. I think my choice would go to Kreisleriana then. The toccata is great of course, but too short, the same for Papillons.
Someone of you guys played some major work of Schumann and would like to say some of his experiences?
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline jbb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:39:49 AM
Some of the pieces suggested here such as the Carnaval, Davidsbundlertanze, Symphonic Etudes, Toccata, and even the Viennese Carnaval, are amongst the hardest in the romantic repertoire.  Some more moderate introductions, in addition to the Waldszenen, would be the Papillons, Novellete #1, some of the pieces from the Fantasiestucke Op. 12, the Arabesque, Blumenstucke, or perhaps the Abegg Variations.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert