Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin prelude no.4 opus.28  (Read 6737 times)

Offline thinker2k7

• PS Silver Member
Chopin prelude no.4 opus.28
on: May 24, 2009, 05:25:36 PM

Im an amatuer pianist. I have started and have been playing for almost two years  without a teacher; forgive my poor reading skills xD.

This is a piece ive learned yesterday, its the first entry in my new weekly musical journal =] .

Offline neardn

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin prelude no.4 opus.28
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:37:53 PM
very pretty!

i think you did a wonderful job

any mistakes can be corrected very easily i'm sure

Offline thinker2k7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:59:59 PM
Thank you neardn  :D

Offline grisell

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:54 PM
Very well! In my opinion you're exaggerating a little in the forte parts, but that's only my personal opinion. Stick to yours. Try to keep it 'forte ma dolce'. Anyway, you have the sound and understanding to make it really well. Keep on the good work!

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:10 AM
Dear thinker2k7,
Very brave and very generous to share your playing of this wonderful prelude.
Here is a link (i hope it works) of what for me is the best interpretation I heard till now of this prelude, it is a 'later' one by Cortot.  You'll find if you scroll a little forward into the recording...

PL&index=69

It is for me very interesting to know that this prelude is also called 'suffocation', a genuine Chopin affection, and this makes this prelude so tremenduously poignant and beautiful for me.    ('suffocation' is also commonly used as a metaphor but in the case of this prelude it can be taken literally).   And that's why for me there's this drowning feeling that starts immediately from the beginning, a certain gradually increasing lack of oxygen which gets to a first climax somewhere just before the middle.   Right after that climax there is again "some oxygen getting into the piece" but lesser than in the beginning, there is suffocation again and that leads to well...  a muffled, somewhat directed to the inside, to the inner body, harrowing, heartrending and gigantic scream for life -for air -that finally ends in these beautiful two last chords, a wonderfully expressed resignation, like and O-K, that's it, curtain.  It is exactly this climax, this delicate working towards that climax and that resignation that Cortot expresses so brilliantly.

Nice rendition anyway and very fine playing for only two years of work.

Kindly.

Offline matthew from florida

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:04 PM
Considering that you have only spent one day working on this piece, I am very impressed. Great job ;D

Offline thinker2k7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:07 AM
Thank you everyone for your very nice comments and help ^^ , I really appreciate it ! =D.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert