Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne in C minor No. 13  (Read 11998 times)

Offline wannabe

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne in C minor No. 13
on: June 20, 2009, 03:33:21 AM
Does anyone know if Chopin wrote this piece for a special event or piece.  It is so dramatic.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne in C minor No. 13
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 03:56:54 AM
I looked through the list of Nocturnes and there is no C minor No. 13, unless you
have another piece in mind that you are inferring to. 

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline frank_48

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:09:14 AM
Go, he is referring to Op.48 No.1.

i doubt he wrote it on purpose for some event, but i did find some information about it;

This one reaches beyond the accepted domain of the nocturne: its virtuoso piano writing is reminiscent of the ballades. Robert Schumann reviewed both nocturnes of opus 48, but his admiration was tinged with certain reservations. This piece was composed in October 1841 and published in 1841/42; it is dedicated to Laura Duperre.

you can tell what he was feeling in the moment of the first 3 bars, must have been sad.
Playing Piano is the easiest thing in the world, All you have to do is have the right finger on the right key at the right moment.

Offline wannabe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:20:43 AM
Yes, that is the correct ncrturne.  I have also read what you wrote but it just seems to me that something must have occurred in his life.  It is just so moving and- like I said, dramatic.  Thanks for your input.

Offline eminemvsrach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:01:02 PM
The Nocturne in C minor has been categorized as one of Chopin's greatest emotional achievements. Theodor Kullak said of the piece, "the design and poetic contents of this nocturne make it the most important one that Chopin created; the chief subject is a masterly expression of a great powerful grief." Jan Kleczyński, Sr. calls the nocturne a "broad and most imposing with its powerful intermediate movement, a thorough departure from the nocturne style." Many musical critics, including Charles Willeby and Frederick Niecks, do not think the piece deserves its fame and position; though James Huneker agrees with this assessment, he notes that the nocturne is still "the noblest nocturne of them all." James Friskin found the music to have "the most imposing instrumental effect of any of the nocturnes", calling the crecendo and octaves "almost Lisztian". 8)

Jim Samson notes that the nocturne intensifies "not through ornamentation, but through a new textural background." Kleczytheński commented that the middle section "is the tale of a still greater grief told in an agitated recitando; celestial harps come to bring one ray of hope, which is powerless in its endeavor to calm the wounded soul, which...sends forth to heaven a cry of deepest anguish." The ending, according to Samson, is "in the nature of an elaborated 'feminine ending', articulating the reactive final beat of an amphibrach grouping."
"Music is Enough for a Lifetime, but a Lifetime is never enough for music."

---Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline wannabe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:55:08 PM
Thanks, it makes sense.  It is almost like someone is sad and then totally loses it.  It is actually fairly easy to memorize because of the flow.  You can almost feel what is coming.
I haven't played much Lizst.  What piece of his, if you know, would be comparable?  Thinking of Liszt, the first thing that comes to mind is Liebestraum (sp).  That is so romantic and beautiful.  Maybe the pieces he wrote in Italy?  Can't remember the names.  Still, to me, although agitato, not dramatic.  I guess I'll have to listen to him more.

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:56:49 PM
I looked into it and when he composed the nocturnes op.48 he was already diagnosed with whatever disease he died of, and he probably missed his homeland (Poland) which may answer the initial question.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 04:43:58 PM
I looked into it and when he composed the nocturnes op.48 he was already diagnosed with whatever disease he died of, and he probably missed his homeland (Poland) which may answer the initial question.

The disease Chopin had was Tubercolisis, when he lived in Majorca, Spain in which affected his
health at the time. 

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:16:14 PM
The disease Chopin had was Tubercolisis, when he lived in Majorca, Spain in which affected his
health at the time.

okay, I used to know it was tubercolisis but I forgot since I don't really care, and Spain is certainly not Poland.
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:52:43 PM

okay, I used to know it was tubercolisis but I forgot since I don't really care, and Spain is certainly not Poland.
Chopin moved away from Poland forever.  And besides, with your knowledge of everything here, it surprises me that you don't really care, because I know you DO care.  hummmm...

best wishes,  and have a good day weiss,   ;)

go12_3

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 05:54:44 PM
Chopin moved away from Poland forever.  And besides, with your knowledge of everything here, it surprises me that you don't really care, because I know you DO care.  hummmm...

best wishes,  and have a good day weiss,   ;)

go12_3

I actually did know Chopin moved away from Poland forever, I do care to some extent but I am not so concerned with which diseases composers died from.

you to  ;)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 05:59:40 PM

I actually did know Chopin moved away from Poland forever, I do care to some extent but I am not so concerned with which diseases composers died from.

you to  ;)

I just wanted to get the disease down , just  information for  other members here,    ;)

Offline eminemvsrach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 03:58:56 AM
Thinking of Liszt, the first thing that comes to mind is Liebestraum (sp).  That is so romantic and beautiful.

But of course, this nocturne has a totally different feeling than the liebestraum. I've haven't heard much liszt either, but those octaves in the middle section do remind me of the agitated style in some of his music. Can't recall what piece either.......
"Music is Enough for a Lifetime, but a Lifetime is never enough for music."

---Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline mlbbaseball

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:07 AM
This is so emotional that it is kinda like a Ballade.
Bach: Toccata BWV 914
Beethoven: Sonata op. 57
Liszt: HR 12
Rachmaninoff: Prelude op. 32 no. 12
Prokofiev: Suggestion Diabolique
Liszt: La Campanella
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto no. 2, op. 18

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 06:33:35 AM

Good point.  It begins as a nocturne, but then Chopin leaves that behind.  A ballade may be the best match for genre.  But I think it really is its own piece.  For me, Op. 48 is just unique: grand, noble, poetically majestic. 
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:02 PM
I was suggested to play this piece by my teacher; I have a book of the Chopin nocturnes, and I agree that this is a 'departure from the nocturne style'.  I was wondering what happened to the arpeggiated left hand stuff you'd come across in a bunch of his other nocturnes.  It's an awesome piece of music nonetheless  ;)

Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:37 PM

It can not actually be called a ballade, because to be considered a ballade it has to be based on a poem.

Does anyone else like the second one from op.48? I think they are the only ones that are not cheesy (you all are probably sick of me calling Chopin pieces cheesy)
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline iansdigby

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 12:04:52 AM
I love this nocturne. It really does raise the emotional pressure and takes into a deep expressive place. The effect achieved by the chromatic octaves punctuating the middle section phrases, the the simmering passages that follow the most powerful passage, really are a thrilling roller-coaster emotional ride. And all with the exquisite, refined perfection that only Chopin could really do.

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:25 PM
I played this piece for my college auditions.. it is still far and away one of my favorite pieces ever.  The finale is so beautiful and sorrowful.  It's easy to lose yourself in it.

I don't think this was written for any specific event.  However, I do know that many have noted what an uncharacteristic nocturne this was for Chopin.  It's on a much more dramatic scale than most of the others. 
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert