Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Debussy, "La Soiree dans Grenade" (from Estampes)  (Read 11246 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Debussy, "La Soiree dans Grenade" (from Estampes)
on: July 05, 2009, 11:22:38 PM
“La Soiree dans Grenade” of Claude Debussy is one of three pieces of the suite Estampes, (usually translated as Engravings) composed in 1903.  The piece takes the form of a nocturne, suggestive of music being played at distant festivities of a summer evening in Grenade.  The habanera rhythm permeates the entire piece.  This “Spanish music” of Debussy has long been considered one of his finest works with its lush, colorful melodies and harmonies.  Manuel de Falla pronounced it as being “characteristically Spanish in every detail”.  Ironically, Debussy had never visited Spain before composing it.

Although "Soiree" is a well-known piece in the standard repertoire, this is the first recording of it posted here at Piano Street.  Not only is it one of Debussy's finest works, but it's also a landmark of Impressionism.

Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”), just tuned
Recorder: Korg MR-1000 DSD
Mics: Earthworks TC20 small diaphragm omni-directional condensers, matched pair

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy, "La Soiree dans Grenade"
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:13 AM
Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed this, Rachfan.  Wonderful playing!  Technically it's very proficient.
The dark, ominous theme that starts at :15 reminds me of a recurring theme of similar character in Vertigo.  It plays when the painting of the mysterious lady (Spanish as I remember) comes into view.

Love the new mics! :)    
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy, "La Soiree dans Grenade"
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:39:20 AM
Hi goldentone,

Glad you liked the piece!  If I were to guess about that theme you mention, to me it sounds Moorish.  The Moors had a huge influence on Spanish culture, and that might have included elements of their music as well.  Thanks for listening.

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline gvans

Re: Debussy, "La Soiree dans Grenade" (from Estampes)
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:01 AM
Nice job, David! Very beautiful, very evocative. The Baldwin sounds great. I think this is one thing about Debussy I love-- his use of register brings out sonorities in one's instrument that were hidden. As for the pedalling: sounded great to me. I play it a little more straight, with a bit less tempo change. I'll try to record it soon for you (just finished a chamber music concert, have a bit of time)...but I loved the interpretation.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:24:23 AM
Hi gvans,

Thanks for that compliment!  If I were too do it again, one thing I would change would be to aim for a quieter dynamic on page 5 at the Leger et lointain (Light and distant).  And on page 6 I'd try to make the second appearance of that section pp or even quieter.  But other than that, I think it sounds OK.

I've played 9 or 10 of Debussy's pieces, but should really do more.  Maybe when I need a break from Russian music. 

Looking forward to your rendition.

David

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:51:23 AM
Hi David,
As worth as the opinion of a simple amateur can be: a wonderful performance!! Your “russian” feeling fits very well to the mood of this piece. You   create a kind of suspence that “forced” me to listen… and to enjoy it…BRAVO!!!
Margherita

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:30 PM
Hi Margherita,

"Soiree" is a wonderful piece, isn't it? After Late Romanticism, Impressionism is also a favorite of mine. This music suggests to me the sounds a tourist hears while meandering around the town on a warm summer evening. So I tried to tell a story with that. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for your nice compliment on my playing.

P.S. I'm just a simple amateur too.  ;)

David

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:08:44 AM
An old thread that is worthy of listening. I kept listening and sort of felt a dreamy mood as I do in most Debussy pieces. I like costicina was 'enchanted' by your playing. Sorry I can't say much else because I'm really only a simple amateur.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:38:24 AM
Hi

Thanks for listening and that compliment on my rendition.  I really appreciate it.

I believe that the great majority of us here at Piano Street are amateurs.  I define the term in the traditional way whereby the professionals play for compensation while the amateurs play piano more as a hobby.  For the pros, piano is their vocation, but for us it's an avocation.  I believe that quite often an amateur can play as well as a professional.  That's why I think of it more in terms of playing piano as a livelihood or playing only for personal satisfaction.

David

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 01:31:59 AM
I had never heard this deliciously atmospheric piece, so thanks for drawing it to my attention. I think I would have picked it as more Debussy than Spanish, but having limited knowledge about either I cannot really say why; something to do with those little shifts of parallel majors and sevenths I think. I would have probably stretched the dotted rhythms a bit in that slow tempo, i.e. made them "more dotted", exaggeratedly sultry. But I frequently do things which are quite "wrong" in classical music, so what do I know ?

Well played and very enjoyable in any case.

Ted.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:48:30 AM
Hi Ted,

Thanks for listening.  gvan, retrieved this recording from the back pages, but I was glad of it, as it's a gorgeous piece--one of Debussy's best in my opinion.  I believe the Spanish flavor comes from that unceasing habanera rhythm, but the impressionistic atmospherics are present too.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  

By the way, I first played this piece when I was 18.  As I readied it for recording in 2009, I could tell that I played it differently in some ways--likely the result of a much more mature perspective.  

David
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert