Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Saria's Ragtime Jazz (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)  (Read 8312 times)

Offline kentokhromatic

• PS Silver Member
Early in the morning hours I was inspired to write this piece in one sitting when I was listening to Saria's Song in my head and suddenly realized that the main melodic motif is a 3-note repeating figure, which is characteristically similar to the "ragtime riff", which creates a polyrhythmic through grouping straight 8ths in 3. After this realization a ragtime version of Saria's Song started playing in my head, and by the time I started running through a solo on the progression I knew this was something I needed to write down. Hopefully there are others who are interested in this concept as much as I was in writing it. There are a large number of solos in the middle section that are on top of the original chord progression, which is mostly original material but in line with jazz interpretations of standards (that is, almost adding more new things than retaining the old through solo sections). I tried to make sure that the original concept of it being based around the catchy Saria's Song was kept, so there is later section where the original song is quoted more bluntly and somewhat humorously.

*Note: I am not playing this song! It's too hard for me. But the rest of you guys are more than welcome to pick it up, just let me know!

Offline pianoman666

• PS Silver Member
Re: Saria's Ragtime Jazz (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:50:55 AM
awesome man. this is one of my favorite OoT songs. i would not consider it ragtime (although it does have a rag bass line. my suggestion would be to use the saria theme more often in the piece and simplify it so you can play it.
You Stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks! You Get Nothing!

- Willy Wonka

Offline kentokhromatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:20:38 AM
Thanks! and I did want to simplify it so I can play it, but my main focus is composition so in the case of this piece, because the composition was going in the direction of the complex, I wanted to follow it through, even if it goes beyond my playing abilities. This doesn't feel strange to me, because I often write for instruments I can't play, or ensembles where it would be physically impossible for me to play all the instruments.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:19:29 AM
Amusing piece.  Sounds like video game music.  That traveling feel. 

Is that the real name of it?  Who's the original composer?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline kentokhromatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:39:34 AM
The piece the composition is based on is by Koji Kondo and is called "Saria's Song" or "Lost Woods".  Here's a link to the original song it's based off of:

Offline doelman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:58:57 PM
Awesome piece, I like a lot!

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:16:30 AM
Saria's Song IMO is one of the most evocative pieces of video game music out there.  That and pretty much all the music for Ocarina of Time really sets itself apart from other adventure games at the time.

Nice rendition, sounds interesting!
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline alexszojka

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:01:09 PM
Hi kentokhromatic,

I realize you posted this in 2009, but I'd nevertheless like to compliment you on this arrangement. It's always fun to listen to creative renditions of classic video game music, and this was no exception. The Ragtime feel in the Bass Clef really made this something special.

If you'd like to get in touch feel free to email me. Thanks for sharing your work.

Alex Szojka
alex.szojka@gmail.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert