Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What if...  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
What if...
on: June 25, 2004, 01:08:37 AM
I was just thinking...

If sometime in the near future, they were able to come up with a robot, or robotic human, or whatever... whose sole purpose was to play the piano with a perfect technique and amazingly deep enterpretation that surpassed any human beings interpretations or technique, would you care to listen to him (or her ;) )give his  performances  or would you much prefer the playing of a real, living, crying, bleeding, person, even if they weren't as good?

Hey it could happen...  :P

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky

Offline benji

• PS Silver Member
Re: What if...
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 02:26:36 AM
I'm sure it can happen, and it probably will, though I think it would be terrible. Think of everything that goes into playing piano (well)--practice, education, disappointment, emotion, success, not to mention everything that goes on in one's life that doesn't have to do with piano. A robot would just skip all of that, which would absolutely enrage pianists of the time, and give human players a hopelessly inadequate feeling. Art is not just a pretty painting, or a well-interpreted sonata, it is everything that went into making it. People like Horowitz and others so much because they do make mistakes, which show the world that these performers are human and not just robots programmed to play perfectly. In my opinion, perfect is imperfect. :)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 11:52:40 PM
Don't we have that now?  It's called Midi.  Absolutely perfect in every way; it can play impossible chords at amazing speeds and if provoked by some ingenious programing, can play expressively as well.

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 04:51:59 PM
Yeah but I thought that midi can only have so many volume levels, like 16 or something like that... Opposed to the infinite that humans can produce... I've always sort of wondered what it would be like to have a midi player piano and hear all of those impossible Liszt pieces being played perfectly (thechnically of course)...

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert