Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone starting (or continuing) music school this fall?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
With all the teens on the site... They have to grow up sometime and many will go to college.  Some must be going on to become music majors.

Show yourselves! 8)
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone starting (or continuing) music school this fall?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:27:22 PM
Signed.

I took a year of math in university, did OK, but I got sick of it; switched to economics/political science, and enjoyed it, but realized then that I liked music better.  I'd be thinking "what job in this field will give me enough money to buy a grand piano"

I auditioned in March, and got accepted :)

I can't wait to start, because the minute I contacted my prof for private lessons, he assigned me a whole list of stuff to learn - my favorite part of learning new stuff is opening it for the first time, and just looking through at all the different material in a piece.

In the fall I'm taking a theory/counterpoint class (I've already taken the RCM exams for these ages ago, shouldn't be too bad), piano duo, chamber music, music history up to middle ages, music dictation/solfege, choir, and my solo lesson.

It's a pretty full schedule, but this time there aren't any of those god awful 'lab session/discussion groups' on a Friday night that were mandatory for my other programs!!

I've barely even sat down to watch TV; I always gravitate to the piano and go through some of my stuff throughout the day. 
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone starting (or continuing) music school this fall?
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
I'm not a teen but I began my Bmus last week.

Quite a change of pace from the construction I've been doing for the last seven years (though, I'm still sqeezing in work wherever I can).  Back to the desks, a set schedule, textbooks, homework, infinitely more pretty girls to chat with than on the average construction site.

Once a week we have a private lesson with a prof, I had my first one yesterday and it went well.  The hour passed fast, my assignment is to prepare a piece that's close to my heart and to start learning something new from scratch (so's he can observe how I learn).

Because some people come to the course not having much background, the theory class is starting out very rudimentary, but they're breezing through it as quickly as possible.

We train our ears through sight singing which I will need to practice a good amount, and rhythm exercises.  The theory, musicianship and history classes are all coordinated.  So while we learn about the history of church music we're also covering the church modes in theory and musicianship skills.

The history prof really loves his field.  First class we got a flood of information from Christ -> 18th century.  If it's possible to cover all the major events in the west in an hour, he did it.  The second class was just as dense. We have a few research projects to do.  An article (no more than 3 pages), and two essays (8-10 pages).  Though I'm interested, I don't think I'll be able to find the time to do these properly, they may wind up just slapped together.

Two days ago I went to the community choir, it was recommended as an ensemble requirement.  I've never sang in a choir, don't even know my range.  "Open up Haydn's Creation, and... go".  That was an interesting experience.  I'll figure it out as I go :D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert