Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Sup  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Sup
on: August 18, 2009, 03:54:30 AM
Ladies. ;)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sup
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:11:31 AM
Why is it so satisfying to express one's self? It feels good. It provides release; it provides, in a way, an avenue to convey identity--not always for the sake of solidifying, externally, some property of individualism, but genuinely for the fulfillment of one's self by one's own accord.

Exploring this concept on the most basic and fundamental level I can, I can say that my experience as a human being is testament to one very true fact--expressing myself is a positive experience for me and provides me with much needed vitality. Forget the notion of individualism's functional purpose of satisfying one's consciousness by creating social boundaries between the self and the rest of the world, which in turn, mark a prerequisite for purpose, importance, or at the very least significance. Of course we can't, and shouldn't ignore this entirely as it plays obvious roles in how we live our lives. I'd like to focus in on one very particular phenomenon related to the self-satisfaction of expression.

I wont make the claim that any of my expression exists exclusively as a satisfier of myself for my own self, because fallacious blanket statements like that assume that unquantifiable abstracts like happiness gained from expression can be measured to some degree of confidence where we are able to measure where, why, and by how much they exist in the human experience. I can say with confidence, however, that there is a part of me that finds great pleasure and satisfaction from expressing myself.

Music, Reading, Writing, Singing, Dancing, Conversation, Science, Debate, Opinion, Belief, Faith, Appearance, Body Language, Preferences. These familiar qualities of expression all have, at some time in my life, left me with a self-relevant satisfaction that has provided me with strength and has inspired my consciousness to both small and large degrees.

Why? What is it about being a human being that makes expression so valuable to our experience? Is expression simply a modality of the sensory experience of inputs and outputs that has erroneously perceived  as some "special" quality in the human experience? I'd hate to get into philosophical debates on determinism, but am I simply responding to immeasurable stimuli in a fashion that my predisposed quality of life as a human being is interpreted as something of immense value.

Take for instance me and my music instrument, or my and my automobile. I am quite passionate about both and find extreme satisfaction in accomplishing or simply interacting with either. To not add anymore complexity to this already complex phenomenon, let us ignore accomplishment. I imagine myself simply looking at my musical instrument. When I do this...in fact..I will do this now. I am looking at my musical instrument. Every time I do, I draw so many emotional and intellectual associations with it. It is as if it has become, involuntarily, an extension of myself--this brings me a type of satisfaction that I can best describe as--warmth, solitude, home. It is almost as if I, as a human being, long to find myself in objects, ideas, concepts, people, or anything else.

Is this what it means to express ones self? Is this where the satisfaction has its primordial origins? Is expression a mechanism for the human being to reach out into his/her reality and unify his/herself with whatever it may be that exists beyond his/herself?

This is very much a powerful experience.....
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:23 AM
Today was quite a typical day at school aside from one mildly disappointing moment. Im taking a physics course because I like science and the summer courses at my university are 10 weeks, rather than the consolidated 6 weeks. I figured a quarter of physics was the perfect way to spend my summer.

Anyhow, there's a girl in my physics class. Let's call her Jennifer for the sake of me telling you all this story. Jennifer is bright; I never payed too much attention to her up until about the 3rd of 4th week of the course. She is attractive, but it is as if she grew more attractive throughout the progression of the course--I'm sure you all know what I am talking about (such a strange phenomenon!!!) Anyhow, she appears to be very intelligent, at least this is what I have gathered from interacting with her and noticing her academic habits.

I used to be painfully awkward around women I found attractive, but ever since I have developed a sense of indifference to the concept of rejection, I have found that this, and many other things in my life, are very much the little gems in life that should be enjoyed and pursued with a healthy attitude. Risks, in general, are glorious little moments where the person inside you struggles with uncertainty in order to gain some experience and knowledge to hopefully create some growth.

Back to my day. As we are walking out, we are having a conversation about the lecture, it was a great lecture on cosmology--The Big Bang certainly is a beautiful theory. We sometimes walk out to the parking lot together, because we park around the same spot. Well today, I very much wanted to ask her for coffee, or maybe even lunch. I wanted to get to know her better and seemed today would have been an appropriate time to casually ask.

You see, I usually pride myself for my attention to detail. I remember most things and have an incredible retention rate. Today, however, this talent of mine had failed me, but its okay because I had a good laugh inside to myself. We arrive to our cars, coincidentally parked very close to each other, and I am about to ask her....but I stop myself. Why? Well, just like everyone else this is a mildly nervous experience, you know, nervous in the exciting sense. I tend to glance down at times when I am nervous. When I glanced down, I never noticed it before, but she I noticed what seemed to be one of the most beautiful looking wedding rings I've ever seen. It looked as if the band could hardly contain those infinite amount of diamonds.

Well, perhaps I will have better luck next time around.

She is a very cool person, and cheers to the fellow who put that ring on her finger. =)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:35:16 AM
My dog, Airebis. He is a Siberian Husky. I don't know if you have noticed, but "Airebis" is "Siberia" spelt backwards--I thought it was clever too. He is 4 years old. He was born on July 3rd 4 years ago. He's matured a lot but still has this uncanny zest for life that I adore. I believe his favorite thing to do in life is simply explore, I wish you guys could see the look of determination in his eyes when I take him for walks, because I think it would in some way inspire you to perhaps pursue anything in life you've always wanted to but didn't--that's what it does to me.

I guess you could say he is my little reminder, in dog form.

I can easily say, without thinking twice, that he is my best friend.

Here is a picture of him when he was just 8 months old. He was, and still is, a very handsome doggie.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:37:02 AM
I am going to go to the gym now. I just got over a very bad shoulder injury and I finally feel ready to go back.

My iPod playlist has just one song: Rocky Balboa Training Sequence Song.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:24:45 AM
When I glanced down, I never noticed it before,

For a minute i thought you were going to say "she had a bigger pair of bollox than me".

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:54 AM
For a minute i thought you were going to say "she had a bigger pair of bollox than me".
As you would, naturally - but what did you think after that minute? We need to be told...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:33:58 PM
Long time, no see, Mr. Husky.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 08:52:43 PM
Hi pianochick.

I will consume Thai food today. Deliciousness will surely ensue.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert