Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Do you promote Classical Music to others?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline antichrist

• PS Silver Member
Do you promote Classical Music to others?
on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:12 PM
Classical music lacks of promotion,so it is very unpopular.

Lots of classical musicans like to enjoy themselves without promoting classical music to the others.

Normally people never understand whats about Classical music

So,have you ever sucuessed bringing others to be classic fans?Or do you rather enjoy the music urself or with others that have the same hobbies?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Do you promote Classical Music to others?
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:19 PM
I would like to. But I'm a very bad promoter. As soon as people start to notice that my intention is promotion they "close the door" ::) .

Offline jgallag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:55 AM
My family keeps telling me they would never have encountered classical music had I not taken piano lessons and become a music major, so I guess that counts on some level.

It isn't necessarily promotion, I'd say. I mean, I share my CDs with others, but I don't tell them they should download the pieces or listen to the same stuff. I just like to have it on in the background when I have visitors, and I play other types of music as well. Occasionally friends will be forced to be practice audiences if I have a piece that's ready. I think "promoting" classical music is like "promoting" religion. You don't force it down people's throats unless you want to drive them away. You simply exemplify the qualities of either in your own life and build in yourself a willingness to share your passion with others. It's a matter of exposure. If they encounter it enough times, eventually they'll find the aspect of classical music they like and hopefully pursue it further.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:18:22 AM
I would like to. But I'm a very bad promoter. As soon as people start to notice that my intention is promotion they "close the door" ::) .

What do you do - go door to door, knocking on them and opening with the line "Have you let Chopin into your heart"???

::)

At least with YouTube there is a bit more open-ness to classical music. People are being exposed to it on a whole new level... yes - some of it may be of poor quality and some people may butcher the CRAP out of it... but at the same time it shows that more and more people in some form of music are trying to put their recordings online and showing it to their friends, families etc...

It's survived the last couple of hundred years - I'm sure it will last several hundred more.

Offline loonbohol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:48:56 AM
If I had a hard time promoting KAJIURA'S MUSIC to others.
The more would classical music would be.

I suggest we must have the top 10 classical music list that we can use as a reference for them.

HONESTLY only 5 out of my 35 classmates heard of Chopin but all of them had heard of Beethoven.

All Hail Kajiura
All Hail Nilsjohan
Welcome to Merville.
Land of Utopia

Offline sin23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:40:25 AM
I grew up in a society where listening to Tsaikovsky can be a weird thing.  Its really hard to open up or find people who shares with you the same admiration even for Beeethoven.

Offline gep

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:25:02 PM
I like talking about classical music to likeminded people. Doing so to not-likeminded people is a waste of everybodies time.

Most fun it is with open-minded people. "Try this, have you heard that, consider inviting that pianist". Two-way, of course! One lives and learns that way!

gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 03:26:45 AM
Do not throw pearls before swine!

Walter Ramsey

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:14:31 AM
Classical music doesnt need any promotion, it will always be there (unlike 'popular music', wich gets forgotten very quickly).
And why would you want classical music to be popular? Lots of people dont give a crap about classical music, just like alot of people dont give a crap about popular music.
1+1=11

Offline loonbohol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:54:38 AM
I do know that if you do not study classical music, your composing foundation is weak.
All Hail Kajiura
All Hail Nilsjohan
Welcome to Merville.
Land of Utopia

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:33:39 PM
I do know that if you do not study classical music, your composing foundation is weak.

You dont need much composing foundation for popular music. For popular music you need media knowledge, no quality music.
1+1=11
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert