Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Is sensitivity really such a good thing?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Is sensitivity really such a good thing?
on: September 11, 2009, 05:22:13 AM
I have been the so called "sensitive" guy for all my life. Frankly, I wonder if being sensitive is really all that good. I never stood up for myself, never defended myself, and was always to some extent bullied. I never had them, what some might call cojones. Sure, there are always benefits to being sensitive. I was to some extent smart, good with music, etc. But is sensitivity to these things worth it, if you live a life of emotional despair?

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is sensitivity really such a good thing?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:09:28 AM
Humm...isn't there another thread elsewhere about the pros and cons in being
sensitive?  Or am I being too sensitive here?     :'(    :-X    :P 

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:49:12 AM
I have been the so called "sensitive" guy for all my life.

Well, it is better to be this way as opposed to being completely emotionally cold.

I seem to switch between the 2 extremes as mood dictates, but sometimes i wish i had less emotion.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:15 PM
Well, it is better to be this way as opposed to being completely emotionally cold.

I seem to switch between the 2 extremes as mood dictates, but sometimes i wish i had less emotion.

Thal

Like a girl with a beard.........
1+1=11

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21:26 PM

Thal

It is good to have a guy that is emotional because then he wouldn't be able to have empathy and caring for others.  It is better to have a sensitive heart  than a cold heart without feelings.

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:38:22 PM
This is what I am asking: Is it really better to have a sensitive nature if your entire self is ruined? I agree with what you are saying though.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:43:38 PM
It is better for others if you are sensitive, but not yourself.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:25 PM
I never stood up for myself, never defended myself, and was always to some extent bullied.

That's called being a wimp, not being sensative. Yes being sensative is a good thing, let me give you an example, your friends mother dies from cancer, would you go round making fun of people that have cancer, yes or no, probably no, that is sensativity at the basic level. However someone makes fun of you at school, calling you names, so you cry loads and think of commiting suicide as a result, that is not sensativity, that is weakness in character. you get the idea.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 04:48:04 PM
That's called being a wimp, not being sensative. Yes being sensative is a good thing, let me give you an example, your friends mother dies from cancer, would you go round making fun of people that have cancer, yes or no, probably no, that is sensativity at the basic level. However someone makes fun of you at school, calling you names, so you cry loads and think of commiting suicide as a result, that is not sensativity, that is weakness in character. you get the idea.

I see what you are saying, but isn't being a "wimp" not another word for being "sensitive"? People who tend to be afraid are afraid because they are sensitive to the blows of life. People who are sturdy have an immunity, so whether it is physical or verbal onslaught, they don't react like a sensitive person would. At its most basic level, sensitivity is in opposition to hardness.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:24 PM
I think being sensitive has to do with how you respond to certain situations and circumstances upon whether you would care or not.  Empathy plays an important part to being sensitive.
We cannot walk around with a heart of stone.  And yet there are times we have to in order to endure the challenges.  You have to bend with the wind and yet be strong enough to withstand the storms of life not matter what happens and being sensitive doesn't have to be a whimp or a coward, but face head on but with dignity and grace of a human being.  And to treat other people with respect no matter what burdens they are carrying within their minds and lives.

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:57 PM
At its most basic level, sensitivity is in opposition to hardness.
Women are generally thought to be the sensative ones because they are the softer sex, it's true, not always though. Men less sensative because they are tought very early in life to be hard, masculine ect ect. However sensativity is knowing how to treat others, you could be the hardest guy or girle in the world and still be sensative. It's true a real man does cry, show and feel emotion without being a wuss.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:41 PM
Women are generally thought to be the sensative ones because they are the softer sex, it's true, not always though. Men less sensative because they are tought very early in life to be hard, masculine ect ect. However sensativity is knowing how to treat others, you could be the hardest guy or girle in the world and still be sensative. It's true a real man does cry, show and feel emotion without being a wuss.

I don't know, from what I see men and women are the same. Both will say f off when approached. I think the whole "women are more sensitive" though might be off.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
I don't know, from what I see men and women are the same. Both will say f off when approached. I think the whole "women are more sensitive" though might be off.

Men or women, it depends upon their personalities and temperament too. 

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:21:26 PM

According to evolution you would think it makes sense theres a difference in sensitiveness between male and female. Men are supposed to hunt, provide food (and spread as much sperm as possible), while female are the ones who have to decide wich men they think can provide most (and best) offspring.
I'd say though its rather a different way of thinking (and sensitivity) than less/more sensitivity.
1+1=11

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 06:54:43 PM
This is what I am asking: Is it really better to have a sensitive nature if your entire self is ruined? I agree with what you are saying though.

It's not like you have a choice anyway. Accept yourself for who your are even if you're the mastermind behind one of the worlds biggest scams.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline l. ron hubbard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 02:39:50 AM
It's not like you have a choice anyway. Accept yourself for who your are even if you're the mastermind behind one of the worlds biggest scams.

What if I don't like myself, or at least my negative traits? Does a man not have power over will? I like to think I do. I work on my problems, and I believe that anyone could transform their habits if they realize their shortcomings. Um, what scams are you talking of...

Offline musiklover96

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:47 AM
apparently sensitivity causes more anxiety in pressure situations - eg performing in public
Currently playing:
Beethoven - Appassionata Sonata
Chopin - Nocturne Op 27 No 2
Chopin - Ballade No 2
Chopin - Etude 'Winter Wind'
Debussy - Jardins sous la pluie
Ravel - Sonatine

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:53 AM
Um, what scams are you talking of...

Scientology
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 09:17:52 AM
Not that I would consider it to change my answer, but the term must first be universally defined; the word "sympathy" is often, albeit incorrectly, interchanged with "empathy":

"I have great sensitivity to your concerns."

for instance.  The term is also colloquially misused as someone who is particularly (often to a point of fault) reactionary to emotional stimuli.  Given the description you gave, I get the impression you are using the term in a tangential reference to the latter; however, you also seem to be using the term to connote an instinctive inclination towards acquiescence in confrontations.  None of these are appropriate definitions for the term "sympathy", really.

Either way, it also heavily depends on what you mean by "is it good".  It would highly depend on what you value in your life.  There are certainly situations in which it's advantageous (or, to be blunt, a facsimile of such is), but typically it is not.  To operate on a purely logical plane, as opposed to one interrupted by emotion, is, however, an abhorrent thought to most: "callous", "icy", "unfeeling" etc.  In a vacuum, speaking from a purely animal point of view, sympathy is entirely useless; only the feigning of such could be advantageous.  However, people do not live in vacuums, nor are they dogs or monkeys.  An example like this also does not take into account that other peoples' sympathy is advantageous to you, but getting into things like that is a bit pointless on a place like this.  To be too "sensitive" is, of course, negative, but to be entirely devoid of sympathy (as you define it) would define you as a sociopath, which is probably not something you're interested in being.  It's really up to you to decide what is "too" sensitive.  As I said, no Darwinian model will tell you that genuine sympathy is useful, so it really depends on how monstrous you're willing to be, assuming you have a choice in the matter.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 10:18:57 AM
Sensitivity will not ruin you, the inability to deal with your emotions constructively will.

You will not gain control over your emotions by replacing it with self administered pseudo-amnesia nor by replacing the undesired emotion with another action, logic or from an alternative emotional stance in hope that this will remove the unwanted emotion from existing within us. Practicing self denial is quite limiting, you become a lesser person through it, instead one should deal with their emotions and accept that you are allowed to fail in life if these emotions are not benefiting you materialistically or spiritually.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert