Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Invention  (Read 3165 times)

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Bach Invention
on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:32 AM
Hi all! I'm a new member here ;D
Currently i'm practising Invention no. 11 G-
and rather confused about the interpretation, is there any 'exact' interpretation for Bach's pieces, or is it according to players?

I downloaded some recordings of it at pianosociety.com and found that the performers interpret it differently one another in articulation, ornaments and tempo.

I'm using Augener's Edition, is it a good source? Or can you recommend any good source of Bach's Invention in internet. I also downloaded from imslp.org but i think it is not edited at all.

Thank you ;)

Offline rmbarbosa

Re: Bach Invention
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:19 PM
Yes, I put the same question about Invention nr 1, cause the same reasons. About tempo, Czerny edition : "the metronomisations...are intended for purposes of study, otherwise a more moderate time might be advisable...". One edition indicate legato over the same bars where other editions put nothing... Perhaps may be a question of "feeling" based on knowledge about Bach. But I`m not sure. I think one may lend an ear some versions and go to our one. But I repeat I`m not sure, it was good if other more experienced members of this forum might give their opinion. Or your teacher, if you have one. I havent.

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:17 AM
Oh thank you very much for the links and for sending me the pdf, it is very good and i learnt many from the 'Remark'.  :)
Anyway, what edition is the one you sent me?

Offline pianobass91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:57:26 AM
Oops, sorry, i just read a pm from you  ;D, so it's by Bruno Mugellini.
It is indeed a really good source for piano students!
Thx once again.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert