Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Grieg Concerto 5 Against 3?  (Read 7855 times)

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Grieg Concerto 5 Against 3?
on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:16 AM
Any advice on how to play a 5-against-3 rhythm accurately? It's for the Grieg Concerto, 1st Mvmt. I do know how to play this piece, though. Thanks!

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg Concerto 5 Against 3?
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:46 AM
I think you have much bigger problems to worry about than polyrhythms in this piece. Basically, I feel that if you need to ask about something this simple in the work, you probably aren't ready for this work at all.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:04 AM
I think you have much bigger problems to worry about than polyrhythms in this piece. Basically, I feel that if you need to ask about something this simple in the work, you probably aren't ready for this work at all.

For once - I agree.

Pianist7?? What were the last couple of piano pieces you were working on before you decided to take on Griegs Piano Concerto???

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:09:18 PM
I don't think it's that hard, and yes, I have skimed over all three movements. I've been playing for about eight years. Still, any advice?

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:12:28 PM
Perfect_pitch,
Right now, I working on HR2 and the Beethoven Pathetique. And before I worked on Chopin Prelude no. 22 in G minor.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 12:54:15 AM
Mmmm... to go from Beethovens Piano Sonata 'Pathetique' to Grieg's Piano concerto... I think that's maybe a step too far... for now.

Do you have any recordings of your playing? I mean if you play Sonata Pathetique like a pro, then maybe there's a greater chance of you taking on the Grieg... and Liszt's Hungarian - that is hard, and very tiring in the Friska section.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:26 AM
Have you played any of Grieg's stuff before?  Maybe you should get a few smaller pieces under your belt before going straight to his concerto.

He's got some pretty crazy stuff up there with the pieces you've mentioned:  Ballade Op 24, Sonata Op 7, and some of his Lyric pieces are much tougher than a lot of people think.

It's like playing a Rachmaninoff Concerto without having played any of his preludes or etudes.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:24:33 PM
While I thank you for your help, I know I am capable of performing this. But could someone answer my original question? Thank you.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
While I thank you for your help, I know I am capable of performing this. But could someone answer my original question? Thank you.

I still stand by my statement that if you are indeed capable of this, you should be able to figure out something as simple as this.

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:19 PM
I do have a general idea of how to play 5-3 rhythms (_--_--_--_--_--
                                                                         _----_----_----). But any more advice? Do you play it exactly as written, as I want to, make a simpler rhythm, like my teacher does? I don't mean to be rude, but it's up to me on what to play. My teacher also thinks I am capable of playing this piece. Thanks.

Offline lizz93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:08 AM
Howdee,

I'd like to help you out, with this rythm, but WHERE is it listed in the piece? Which section?
That would clarify a lot too, please let me know! ;)

Lizzy

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 01:00:34 AM
[url]https://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/8/83/IMSLP01137-Grieg_Concerto_mvt_1.pdf[url] It's on the last set of staves.

Offline gorucan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:19 AM
Come on guys. Grieg really isn't that hard and it's completely suitable to play after pathetique. On these forums people keep talking about how big jumps others do and give them advice not to play something... don't listen to them. Good luck.

By the way for that rythm you can help yourself with drawing. yeah, draw it mathematically on the paper: upper line 3 units, the line down there 5 units.

then divide all those by 15 (because 3*5=15 yeah.) and play it with metronome from the graph you drew. that's easy, i don't do it because i trust my inner sense but if you really can't play i suggest this way.

Offline charleyjunior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:25 AM
I am not a piano teacher, but am familiar with this work. I love Grieg's lyric pieces, and practice daily. I am asking this group because I am  unclear with the "best" recomendation for the left hand fingering in the Cadenza section. Could someone please help? The dynamics for this Concerto often are often overlooked by many accomplished pianists.

Offline pianist7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:33:29 PM
This should help: [url]https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090606043328AAWRxIJ/url].

Offline charleyjunior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 06:53:48 AM
Refering to the cadenza portion of this concerto and using Schirmers (Grainger edtn), the left hand fingering is not defined, and I have been using,514214212415 (16ths) vs the right hand 32nds.
Is there a different recommendation?

Offline cilias

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:47 PM
What the? Everyone's talking about playing the Grieg Concerto only after playing Beethoven sonatas, Liszt's second Hungarian Rhapsody, and other pieces sometimes botched by virtuoso pianists. The Grieg Piano concerto is the easiest I have ever seen. It was my first choice for concertos, but alas I didn't play it until 2 years later, I still found it easy. Don't get me wrong, it's not chopsticks or "Fur Elise", but compared to what you all insist he plays beforehand, you're really overrating it's difficulty. Especially the first movement, which is what the poster was talking about.

POSTER:
Practice tapping left hand in 3, and the right hand in 5 on your lap if it's really that diffcult for you to get

Offline byarbrough

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 03:55:31 AM
Though I haven't personally played this rhythm, my professor has recommended that the best way to practice awkward rhythms like this is to play each hand separately, in time, repeatedly and switching back and forth between hands, and then eventually just try adding them together without thinking. Not sure if that works though
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert