Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Notes Marc Cohn  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Ric_Y_Martin

• PS Silver Member
Notes Marc Cohn
on: November 19, 2002, 09:27:05 AM
Good morning @all.
I need help. Can I download Piano Notes in the Internet for free? Especially from Marc Cohn (I need Walking in Memphis Notes!)

Thx for your help!!!!!!      ;)

Offline 88keys

• PS Silver Member
Re: Notes Marc Cohn
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 12:17:50 PM
I suppose you don't realize that the "Marc Cohn" Album is protected by copyright law?

Well, it is. And copyright includes the rights for the sheet music as well. So what you are asking to do is illegal...

By the way, in general you can indeed download free sheet music from the net. But only of works which are in public domain (basically everything written till the early 1900's).

Offline selsa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 06:09:40 PM
I don't undertant, 88 keys. Why are those written after the early 1900's illegal. What is behind these copyright laws? Rachmaninoff's (spelling?) sheet music is also considered illegal in some collections and not available. Again, what caused these things?
"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself.

Offline 88keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 09:51:15 AM
Very Simple:

Suppose you write your own original piece of music. You would expect to have some exclusive rights over your creation, right?

Right. This is exactly the purpose of Copyright Law: to give artists (of any kind) some control over the distribution of their own creation.

Now, Copyright protection is not forever. After a specified number of years, determined by law, your creation will become "public domain", meaning that anybody can do whatever he wants with it. In most countries, the artist (or his rightful heirs) can extend the timespan of copyright protection for an additional length of time. In no way, however, can this extention be carried on indefinitely: Sooner or later, all works become "public domain".

Since the details of the law are different in different countries, and since some composers only applied for renewing their rights in their own countries, it is possible to have a piece protected only in some parts of the world while being "public domain" in other countries.

This pretty much sums things up.

And a final note:

Pianists and other performers are also protected by copyright law.

This means that it is illegal to download, say, an MP3 of Arthur Rubinstein playing Beethoven. Beethoven's music may be public domain, but Rubinstein's interpertation of it is still protected by copyright law. If you want to hear his recording, you'll have to buy the CD.

The same is true for printed sheet music. Downloading from those web-archives of classical sheet music is legal, only because the guys creating them were kind enough to permit you to download them for free.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert