Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Brahms - Two Capriccios from op.76  (Read 6428 times)

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Brahms - Two Capriccios from op.76
on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:20 AM
they are in the same file.
first capriccio in b minor, op.76 no.2
second is capriccio in C major, op.76 no.8

EnJoY!!1!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms - Two Capriccios from op.76
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 05:37:37 AM
Oh, what else could one do but eNjOy when presented with these fine pieces!

I miss this Brahms. It was in a summer a decade ago that I went through a large part of his shorter (and later) pieces, my last project with a certain teacher; not that I was ready for these, or that I did well with them...but I think kindly of the memory.

Hearing your very fine performance produces a bit of a yearning for this time. You seem naturally well suited to Brahms's idiom, and these sounds dance out of the instrument. And what an interesting key relationship playing these back to back. The C major is knotty because it's "notey", and it is for this reason that I think perhaps hearing you in the concert hall would do more justice than even the recording (which is good). I have no complaint; only appreciation!

Very well done!  :)

Thanks for uploading.  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40:19 PM
Hi andhow,

I've not played these two pieces drawn from Op. 76, but did do Nos. 6 and 7.  The great thing about Brahms is that in any given set it's impossible to find a bad piece.  I think you have an obvious affinity to this music, as you manage to bring out the inner essence of these pieces so well.  Excellent recordings!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline andhow04

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:19:02 PM
thanks for the comments.  this was from an all-brahms half-recital (on a lunchtime 45 minute program).  i love all the pieces from op.76 though they don't all work individually as well... the last piece is probably my favorite.  it's one of his Typically uncomfortable pieces wher eyou have to play very softly in very wide stretches at a tempo thats nto exactly fast but not slow either... u really need a good piano for this one!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert