Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms op118no3 fast/slow paced?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline bellywelly

• PS Silver Member
Brahms op118no3 fast/slow paced?
on: November 07, 2009, 12:41:25 PM
This particular allergro energico should be played in what kind of pace? Kissin's version is very much indeed fast paced<<< found on youtube.
on the other hand, my teacher and a friend of mine both suggest to play this peice moderately. i do not understand why they suggested to slow down a little.

If i play it face-paced, but a little slower than kissin's version, i will slow down a lot in the soft part of section A, ie, the part in between the loud macho chordal harmonies. this is because this part requires a soft gentle touch which the fast pace i started with is not able to achieve. i couldnt play it gently when im in a 'in a hurry/energetic' mood/speed.

If i play it moderately, i will have no slowing down in that soft gentle part of the song. ie, no rubato. is rubato supposed to be included in this song? i find it a little boring with the song at the same pace.

any suggestions would be welcome  :)

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms op118no3 fast/slow paced?
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:31:02 PM
It has to be slow enough so that the audience can absorb all the power and heaviness of the piece. It can not be too fast. Generally, I do not think Brahms should not be played very fast in general.
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline bellywelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
so..not too fast, but with heaviness.

but, for some reason, i find it better to gather up strength when i play it fast?

thanks for replying btw :)

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:46:24 PM
hey! i've had the same question while i was studying this piece...
at first, i played it just like kissin version (fastness) in order to make a good contrast with the b section... but nowadays i like to play it no that fast, to "underline" harmonies and basses, and i enjoy it more than before, i can sing it better and work the pedal in a better way...

and i dont use rubato in the part b... it's more piano and cantabile, and what i do is to accent the "retardos" (i actually dont know the english word... sorry...)

then tell me what you decided to do and why!!
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline bellywelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:03:53 AM
i have just performed the ballade today afternoon, and, imo, i played it too fast for my liking. i dont think the audience prefered it to be played as such a fast speed. it was lacking the 'heaviness' as communist said, and it sounded...like light staccatos from a light-hearted mozart...

that's the reason why i like performing. it shows my weaknesses. haha  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert