Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: check wrong note in Mozart K 426 fugue for 2 pianos in c minor?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline le_sacre

• PS Silver Member
I'm loving the Mozart fugue for two pianos in c minor (K 426), though I don't have access to two side-by-side pianos so I'm just playing it as a duet with myself on a digital instrument.

My score clearly indicates a G♭ 16th note in the right hand of Piano I in the second beat of measure 98.  The left hand imitates it two beats later at the octave and plays a G♮ (natural).  It sounds odd with that first G♭ but I can see a musical case for it; however, I'm pretty sure that Brendel and Walter Klien play both Gs as natural in their recording.

Anyone happen to have an authoritative edition they can check?  Thanks!

It's great fun playing along with yourself on a digital piano, I find.  I'm also playing the Bach concertos for two and four harpsichords that way (BWV 1061 and 1065).

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: check wrong note in Mozart K 426 fugue for 2 pianos in c minor?
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 06:57:01 AM
What a great idea!!!!!!! My next purchase.  What digital piano do you have and how much?
(Can't help you on the Mozart.  Not at home, right now.)

Offline le_sacre

• PS Silver Member
Re: check wrong note in Mozart K 426 fugue for 2 pianos in c minor?
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:37:25 AM
What a great idea!!!!!!! My next purchase.  What digital piano do you have and how much?
(Can't help you on the Mozart.  Not at home, right now.)

Thanks for the response!  Yes, it really is great fun, and of course it's a nice way to make yourself really think about the ensemble nature of such pieces.

I play on a Yamaha PF500 that I bought new five years ago for around $2000.  It's long since discontinued, but I found some discussion of the PF500 and more recent models here:  https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/6/topic/002375/Number/0/site_id/1#import.  I have enjoyed it a great deal, but I think mostly because I play with headphones all the time (another benefit of digital:  no bothering the neighbors!).  The built-in speakers on the PF500 don't sound very good in my opinion, but otherwise it's got a lot of wonderful features.  It's also a good compromise between decent looks and semi-portability, which is important for me since I move pretty often.

I don't know what I would get if I were shopping today.  So many choices, it seems bewildering.  But I'd bet the technology has improved a great deal in five years.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert