Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Fantasia BWV 904 -- Sustain Pedal ??  (Read 26194 times)

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Bach Fantasia BWV 904 -- Sustain Pedal ??
on: November 30, 2009, 05:33:32 PM
Hello

Im learning this fantastic piece.
Just wondering if you would agree about using the sustain pedal in discrete way in this piece.

Here is the score and the audio:

The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Fantasia BWV 904 -- Sustain Pedal ??
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:41:13 PM
I didn't know that piece, thanks for posting.

As for pedal with Bach, there really are no absolute rules, since Bach didn't write anything directly for the piano. So just use your own judgment. My preference is not to use any pedal at all, but that's partly because I don't like the sound of the pedal on my old piano very much.

Offline baadshah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:08:49 PM
i love this fantasia, and the fugue is even more awesome- i love that chromatic second subject...

I tend to think (tho I have zero authority in piano playing so would kindly defer to anyone else's opinion!) that as the organ, and the various types of harpsichord that existed at the time, each have many unique features that cannot be imitated on the piano, we may as well use the piano to the full extent of its features. Pedal can improve tone, and also support the harmonies and inner voices. Of course, we stilll have to be very discrete- avoid blurring the harmonies and masking the inner voices etc

BTW, check out BMV 944- somehow i only just discovered it. Theres an awesome richter version on youtube somewhere.

Offline baadshah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:09:17 PM
That was an amazing youtube video btw. But what happend to the opening E in the prelude? Is there another version in a different edition?

Coming back to your question, I was thinking, when we play a fugue on the piano, we bring out the different voices using different volume, tone, touch, sustaining notes etc. Whereas on the harpsichord we have to use articulation, ornaments but little volume or sustain is possible. So we are using the strengths of the particular instrument to bring out the depth present in the music. In the same way, just as harpsichord and organ have stops and various sound-effects etc, the piano has the peddle, so best use it if we deem it appropriate- and the una corda peddle too.

Here is the Fantasia and Fugue I mentioned - opus 944, played by richter.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:58:56 PM
Hello

Im learning this fantastic piece.
Just wondering if you would agree about using the sustain pedal in discrete way in this piece.

Here is the score and the audio:

Whereas I would have no problem with using the pedal in a discrete way, I admittedly don't like this particular interpretation on youtube. To me it seems over-ornamented and full of mannerisms. I have read that Bach was actually famous for writing out every ornament and people back then even complained about this...because they were used to add the ornaments by themselves.
So, no matter if we play Bach on a harpsichord or a modern piano, we should be very selective at adding ornaments.

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:38:05 AM
Firstly, Brendel is a power of a human being and every pumped up "showman" should take his words seriously. On to your question...I, and I doubt Brendel for that matter, would never apply sustaining pedal to the works of Bach. I occasionally use a dab on Mozart, but never on Scarlatti or Haydn. A Pletnev recording I recently heard barbarized a Scarlatti sonata but sustaining the whole score recently. As much as the admiration I have for Pletnev, he has gone down several notches in my estimation after that one.

Personally I try and the big Beethoven fugues ( i.e. hammeklaviar, Sonata 31) with as little pedal as possible. I am currently working on Busoni's transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I am trying to master it without pedal as I feel it should be played in the spirit of Bach. Early days - I may change my mind on that one ;D. We'll see how it turns out.

If you were unaware Bach rarely applied any dynamic markings on his manuscripts. There were no bar lines, so all scores available today are "editions" NOT made by Bach. Everything other than the notes (for the large part) are editorial suggestions for enhanced performance.
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:58:13 AM
Huh? ??? And what is this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/BWV605.png

Is that an original manuscript? I was taught bar lines were added after Bach's death. If I am wrong I  retract that statement
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:29:36 PM
Personally I would never dream of playing most Bach works _without_ the sustain pedal. As for Busoni transcriptions, I'm pretty sure he would have been horrified by the thought of pedal-less performances, but hey, why not? Variety is the spice of.... and all that.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:03 AM
Personally I would never dream of playing most Bach works _without_ the sustain pedal. As for Busoni transcriptions, I'm pretty sure he would have been horrified by the thought of pedal-less performances, but hey, why not? Variety is the spice of.... and all that.

Well I guess it boils down to how they are performed :D

I doubt Busoni would be horrified, I think "flabbergasted" might be more accurate sentiment :o. I was being a little rhetorical and hardly practical as I do not believe Busoni's Bach transcriptions are possible without sustaining pedal.
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert