More
0 (0%)
Less
6 (66.7%)
The Same
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is Classical Music More or Less Popular than it was 10 Years Ago?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Do you think people are more or less aware of classical music than they were ten years ago, or is it about the same?  Particularly in regard to younger people (say, under 25).
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline ghchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is Classical Music More or Less Popular than it was 10 Years Ago?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:35:37 PM
Definetly not more, but I don't think much less, since ten years isn't much compared to two hundred+
I wish it was more popular, I only listen to a few songs with words in them, the rest of my favorites on youtube are Piano.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:31 PM
According to the local music director, who's been observing these things longer than I have, it's been mainly fogie music for our lifetimes, with a steady trickle of younger fans (usually musicians).

Though I guess the general education has been degrading.  Apparently there was a time when all school kids were taught solfege and some basic music reading!

We were talking about this a few days back and it feels like education has become more science and math centric than the humanities.  So far as I'm concerned, in this day and age we can fend for ourselves.  Whatever we want to learn, it's out there and accessible, we've just got to go get it.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:41 AM

Though I guess the general education has been degrading.  Apparently there was a time when all school kids were taught solfege and some basic music reading!

That's rare.  Or at least from what I've seen.  I don't know how common it was in the past.  Rare at the elementary level at least.  But definitely a plus for those who learn it.  Choirs at the middle school and high school level still do it.

We were talking about this a few days back and it feels like education has become more science and math centric than the humanities.  So far as I'm concerned, in this day and age we can fend for ourselves.  Whatever we want to learn, it's out there and accessible, we've just got to go get it.
International competition?  National defense?  Maybe?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline musicalita_23

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:25:43 AM
According to the local music director, who's been observing these things longer than I have, it's been mainly fogie music for our lifetimes, with a steady trickle of younger fans (usually musicians).

My piano teacher I have now (she's in her 70's) told me about all the music education she would get in school, even before she started pursuing a career in it.
I really find it unfortunate that classical music is diminishing in importance throughout the years (not just in the last ten). It's such an important part of life, and it should be more appreciated.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert