Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Liszt Symphony No.5  (Read 9882 times)

Offline justinjalandoni

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Liszt Symphony No.5
on: January 07, 2010, 01:08:37 PM
I was just wondering if you guys think I'm already good enough to play the first movement of Beethoven's symphony no 5 on piano. Some of the pieces i can play well are:

1. Mozart k330 - 1st movment
2. Mozart - Rondo Alla Turca
3. Mozart - k545 - 3rd movement
5. Bach- Prelude1 from wtc book 1
6.bach Inventions - 8 and 2 (learning 1 right now)
7. Beethoven - Fur Elise
8. Satie - Gymnopedie 3

I asked this cause i tried to play the finale of symphony no 7 before and i couldnt even get past the first few bars. Is the 5th symphony technically easier than the 7th?

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Liszt Symphony No.5
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:13:15 PM
It is easier than the 7th, but it uses lots of full chords played fast, something none of the pieces you listed has, so you could try to deal with that first ;)
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline joao975ca

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:15 PM
if you study, everything is possible. And everytime you find a technical difficulty, stop, make the "correspondant" Hanon exercise, and then study the passage. As you evolve, you won't need Hanon's exercises anymore, but if you want to master your technique, i suggest you to take 10-15 of your day, every day, making Hanon exercises. Trust me.
Working on:
Bach - Toccata in f sharp minor, BWV 910
Beethoven - Sonata op.57, "Appassionata"
Liszt - "Après une lecture du Dante"
Tchaikovsky - Concerto 1

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:42 AM
I think that it's a very abrupt jump passing from Für Elise to a full orchestra Liszt transcription. Liszt's transcriptions have many successions of chords, jumps, double notes and octaves, even in non showy ones such as the Beethoven symphonies.

I think that you need some background in that kind of technique which, taking a look to your repertoire, you hanven't  yet. Don't be impatient, wait some years, expand your repertoire. The short way never was a straight way. You could be hurt (the arm, back, wrist and hand injuries aren't a joke at all  :-\ )
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert