Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata op 10 no 3  (Read 4395 times)

Offline arvhaax93

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata op 10 no 3
on: January 18, 2010, 05:28:30 AM
I am having some serious speed issues specifically in the first movement.  I practice it around 144 per quarter note and i play it clean and usually note perfect (in sections), but the problem is is that when i bump up the speed around two knotches to around 160 then it completely falls apart.  The way I speed this up is I play it several times a day in sections, and i bump up the metronome speed every 2 weeks or so because I don't want to butcher this piece at all.  I've had this piece since September of last year and I feel I'm taking an unnecessary amount of time to get this sped up (and it's only half speed)  and getting it learned was not a problem.  I don't see how in the world I'm going to be playing it twice as fast as I am right now (the speed it should be at), I just feel physically or mentally unable.  How should I go about tackling this situation?
Currently Learning:
Mozart Sonata in D Major K. 284
Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 1 "Aeolian Harp"
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 1 in F# minor, Op. 1

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata op 10 no 3
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:07:36 AM
All I can say is be patient with yourself as you continue working on this piece.
Beethoven's Sonatas are not easy to learn quickly.  There is no magic wand to make things
easier in learning a piece.  I am working on the same piece for a year and I can't get it up to
speed yet.  I don't know your background in piano playing but do work in sections at a time and
take a break from the piece instead of drilling yourself  throughout the day.  I think working on a piece too much can cause you to hinder your progress.  Keep a even tempo that you are comfortable with for a week and then speed it up a notch. When a pianist experiences  the  physical and mental let down, then do take a break and do something different for a day or so.
Give yourself a break.  Then when you return to practicing, then your mind will be more fresh and ready to learn more.  I know in my experience in playing piano and violin EACH DAY has gotten to be monotonous  and therefore every piece I was learning sounded the same in my mind and it affects how I play and learn new pieces. 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:03 AM
I would put the metronome on half notes, like 72. Actually I don't think it needs to be double as fast. Don't forget the music.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:21 PM
In order to speed up using a metronome, you don't just make it a higher beat speed, you make it count larger beat groups.  Half notes or even whole notes for pieces that are in cut time.  You have to be able to gain control of large groups of notes, not play individual notes very fast.

Also, when using the metronome, I never have the clicks on the strong beat.  It's of the utmost importance for a lively and masterful performance that you have control over all the aspects of the rhythm - and rhythm is three dimensional.  Therefore you should align your playing so the metronome clicks fall on the weak beats

If you are havnig the metronome click quarter notes for this piece, it would be too laborious, and probably not helpful, to have it land on the offbeats (every other eighth note).  Instead switch it to a lower beat speed, and count halves, but have it land on every other quarter.  Therefore the first quarter, the pick-up D, will be aligned with a click of the metronome.  That is the only way, in my opinion, to have successful results with a metronome.

Walter Ramsey

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:59:40 AM
Beethoven invariably needs to be performed fast. However never lose sight of the fact that he is a significant bridge between the Classical and Romtantic approach to music. Therefore Beethoven's scores are packed full of detail and don't need to be "interpreted". If you cannot play his music extremely slowly you certainly cannot play it fast.

Assuming you have put any issues to bed, your existing approach is professional and the correct one.
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert