Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: before-performance nervous symptoms  (Read 1883 times)

Offline mozartgonebad

• PS Silver Member
before-performance nervous symptoms
on: July 03, 2004, 11:35:13 PM
i always have a problem of yawning and wanting to go to the bathroom before a big performance/competition... what are you guyz' "nervous symptoms"?
~~*GOOD QUOTES*~~

"There are more bad musicians than there is bad music."
--Isaac Stern"

"There are still so many beautiful things to be said in C major."
-- Sergei Prokofiev

JK

Re: before-performance nervous symptoms
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 11:40:34 PM
Sweaty hands, loss of appetite and normally I get quite moody!!!!!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 12:58:46 AM
Normally, just a tad nervous and hands get somewhat sweaty and/or shaky.

Last concert I gave (my first and only full-length concert), I felt absolutely calm and at ease.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 05:03:57 AM
i get sweaty palms and feel really sick in the stomach, like i want to vomit but don't so then find it hard to eat properly before a performance which is annoying. otherwise if i'm in a good mood about the performance i'll be bouncing around the place and won't be able to stay still! did that last year and my friend's like stop moving you're making ME nervous!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Shagdac

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 09:16:23 AM
Pacing, and want to be left completely alone.

:)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 12:29:40 AM
My hands sweat, the sweat evaporates along with my body heat, and my hands are ice cubes.  I put on mittens, the hands warm up, but get sweaty again, I take off the mitts, the sweat evaporates.... >:(

Also, I keep feeling like I have to pee.  I also experienced the yawning problem Mozartgonebad was talking about.

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 03:19:16 AM
I can't imagine what it's like to yawn uncontrollably before a performance. Sounds interesting!

I get this thing where I talk to everybody I see. I experience a severe form of verbal diarrohea. This is quite bad when other people about to play are really nervous and they don't want to talk at all. I love to tell everybody how nervous I am. Somehow that makes me feel more relieved if I can just vocalise my nervousness.

Also, I get the shaky hands thing. I wish I could control that.

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 06:27:55 AM
My hands get sweaty and freezing cold.  I get "jittery" too.  Sometimes my heart will start racing (connected to a congenital condition - though worsened by stress).
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert