Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Recorder  (Read 1271 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Recorder
on: February 19, 2010, 06:52:43 AM
Hellu.

You may have noticed, if you've listen to me in the audition room, that I am in rather desperate need of a new recorder. Do you have any tip on what to buy, and where to buy them?

Thx

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recorder
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:57 AM
The best simple solution currently around is the Edirol R-09HR. Look for it on the internet - it's on sale everywhere. Very high quality and very easy to use. The Zoom H2 is significantly cheaper but not quite as good quality and a bit of a pain to use.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:35:35 AM
The best simple solution currently around is the Edirol R-09HR. Look for it on the internet - it's on sale everywhere. Very high quality and very easy to use. The Zoom H2 is significantly cheaper but not quite as good quality and a bit of a pain to use.

I'd agree with the recommendation of the Edirol. I've had one for about a year and a half and am very happy with it.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
Oh dang.  When I saw this thread, I thought it would be about this kind of recorder:

I got my Zoom H4 about three years ago.  I like it, though I wouldn't call it terribly easy to use—and the design is a bit outdated compared to the newer Zoom H2 and H4n (though I don't know how they compare in specifications and functionality).
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:02 AM
I recently got an H4n.  If you go into the Improvisation section of the Audition room you can hear a comparison recording I put up between the H4n and SP B1 mics.  

For me it was between the H4n or R-09, I went with the H4n.  Haven't given it much mileage yet so can't give too detailed of an opinion.  For field recordings it is much better than my MiniDisc at keeping the handling noise down.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:03:03 AM
Quantum mentions the R-09 - be aware that there was an R-09 and now there is an R-09HR and the differences are quite significant, especially in terms of noise (hiss).

As for handling noise, yes, that is low in all these devices because they practically all use omnidirectional microphones which are highly immune to that. (Er, actually I think the H4n is one of the few to use cardioid-ish mics, but they may have taken other steps against handling noise.)
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:41 AM

I just ordered a R-09HR. $400

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:45:13 AM
Yeah, I also ended up with that one. Around 400$ aswell..
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert