Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: blindfolded mario pianist - take two!  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Snappy Joe

• PS Silver Member
blindfolded mario pianist - take two!
on: July 07, 2004, 05:19:34 PM
A new and longer video of lé blindfolded mario'nist has been recorded  :D
Better sound quality too, and there's that dark castle theme  :o

https://gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php
 F. Liszt

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: blindfolded mario pianist - take two!
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 06:59:06 PM
Where can I get the sheet music to that theme?  I just want to impress a bunch of 25 year old kids who played that game when they were kids. :D

I'm serious, does anyone kno where I can find it?

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:03:09 PM
D'uh there's a link to sheet music on that page.

Offline Osset

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 08:24:29 PM
He really gets busy at the end.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 01:36:19 AM
wow, he's like the chinese Cziffra!

Offline robert_henry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 02:01:56 AM
I realize this was done for fun, but there are so many physical and musical problems, it is quite painful to watch and listen to.  So much tension...(especially in the neck).

He could start with buying a metronome.   ::)

Robert Henry

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:59:21 AM
Dude, he's pretty darn good!  Makes me laugh. ;D

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 10:00:31 PM
Where can I get the sheet music to that theme?  I just want to impress a bunch of 25 year old kids who played that game when they were kids. :D

I'm serious, does anyone kno where I can find it?

The one on the website doesn't have all of them. A person at the Gamingforce forums transcribed the whole thing. It's pretty well done.

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 10:37:53 PM
Yeah that guy is good, but Robert is right. He keeps his upper body very stiff...

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 12:17:26 AM
So what?  He plays well.  I wouldn't care if he played while in a body cast as long as he sounds good.  Next thing you'll start criticizing is that he isn't even wearing a tuxedo. ::)

Offline Snappy Joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 04:40:39 AM
He's not wearing a Tuxedo ? :o PROPOSTEROUS!

;D
 F. Liszt

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 04:47:46 AM
I'm not saying it in a critical way, just that Robert was right. His neck never moves. But I do think he sounds real good. I've never heard anyone play the mario pieces before... Finally something a bit more original!!

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 04:49:34 AM
By the way I tried to print the scores out and they don't fit on my paper. They are a little too far to the right and they get cut off. Anyone else having this problem?

-Tony-

Offline robert_henry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 10:27:11 AM
Let me clarify my earlier comments.

There are many problems with his technique and (ahem) interpretation, even if we only define interpretation to mean the basic principles of music, foremost of which is maintaining a steady tempo.  Mario tunes are not representative of the greatest art in the world, obviously, but even the simplest of pieces are based on basic musical principles.

None of these problems bother me, really.  This is fun music and was played for fun, etc.  I was smiling as I watched it, partly because it reminded me of the good times I had as a kid playing this game.  This guy is not selling himself as the greatest musician on the planet; not every pianist has to have an international career as their goal.  He is simply having fun.  I have nothing against him, and I applaud him for his accomplishments.

But, I am a teacher as well as a pianist.  Since most people on this forum are asking questions and searching for answers related to technique and musicality, and since most of these questions pertain to the very basics of pianism, it is important that the budding pianists out there are able to identify what is good and what is bad about whatever they are listening to or viewing.  I am simply cautioning those who are struggling with certain aspects of technique or musicality to avoid using the Mario guy as their example or guide.  When pianists view that video and then proclaim that it represents great playing, I feel a sense of duty to warn them that they should look elsewhere for examples of correct playing.  Let's keep our standards high.

Robert Henry

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 12:42:36 AM
I thought he was pretty good

where is take one btw?

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 11:25:45 PM
Well, I think this is pretty impressive.  I am amazed at how his exact his rhythms are to this.  I am pretty sure he just downloaded the midi off of a webpage such as this one: https://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/
After this he just used finale or something to convert it all into notes.  I have never been able to play blindfolded before, though i have never tryed, i have difficulty looking at music for too long without losing my hand position.  Instead of wasting his time on the internet, he did something productive.  Pretty awesome.

Offline Snappy Joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 12:37:53 AM
The first take can be seen here:
https://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=mariopiano.wmv

note, it's not as good quality as the second recording
 F. Liszt
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert