Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Mozart-Grieg: Sonata in C Major, K545, All Mvts. (2 Pianos)  (Read 1902 times)

Offline wiwi1019

• PS Silver Member
This is me and me playing Edvard Grieg's arrangement of the famous Mozart sonata.
It took me a lot of time to record this one, hope you'll like it.

On YouTube:

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
I must say - I do enjoy your videos Wiwi...

Keep them up - it's good to see people recording the 2-part pieces and synching them together - takes a lot of skill on your part, but you're doing them well.

Well done.

PS - Interesting question - was that an octave glissando I saw you doing in the 3rd Movement Cadenza??? It looked like it, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't have used your thumb for it (going up)...

It looked that way, although I didn't think RH Octave glissandos going up existed... I thought they were always coming down.

Offline wiwi1019

• PS Silver Member
I must say - I do enjoy your videos Wiwi...

Keep them up - it's good to see people recording the 2-part pieces and synching them together - takes a lot of skill on your part, but you're doing them well.

Well done.

PS - Interesting question - was that an octave glissando I saw you doing in the 3rd Movement Cadenza??? It looked like it, because if it wasn't, you wouldn't have used your thumb for it (going up)...

It looked that way, although I didn't think RH Octave glissandos going up existed... I thought they were always coming down.

Thanks for watching, I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Yes, it IS an octave glissando in the 3rd movement. Grieg didn't write it, I added that in because I think the original cadenza it a little bit weak.

But they do exist in other pieces, examples that I can think of right now are Weber's Concertstuck, Op. 79 and Tausig's transcription of Weber's Invitation to Dance, both pieces has RH octave glissandos going up.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
sh*t - that's gotta hurt the pinkie finger... surely???

I've never encountered them going up in the RH... I've encountered plenty going down (in my Brahms and Stravinsky pieces)... but damn...

Interesting...

Offline wiwi1019

• PS Silver Member
sh*t - that's gotta hurt the pinkie finger... surely???
At first it hurts, but after practising a few days the skin will become thicker, then you'll be OK.
Don't do it too many times in one day, though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert