Piano Forum

Poll

What is your favorite Bruckner Symphony?

No. 1
No. 4, "Romantic"
No. 5
No. 7
No. 8

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Best Bruckner Symphony  (Read 13432 times)

Offline smithreeseii

• PS Silver Member
Best Bruckner Symphony
on: March 18, 2010, 02:49:41 AM
 ;D
"In the war waged in Vienna between the factions of Wagner and Brahms, Bruckner strayed into the battlefield and became the only casualty."
-Erwin Doernberg

Offline smithreeseii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Bruckner Symphony
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:41:45 PM
No real Bruckner fans here eh?   :o
"In the war waged in Vienna between the factions of Wagner and Brahms, Bruckner strayed into the battlefield and became the only casualty."
-Erwin Doernberg

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:13 PM
Best? Don't know. My favorites are the No.4 and No.8, so far. No 8 is just wow wow wow 8)

*tadammm ---tadaaaam ta daaa da da da* yeahhh :) ( this last "da" needs to be really short..)

Offline smithreeseii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:36 PM
Yeah the 8th is very good.  But yeah, the actual question asks for your favorite.  I have the wrong thing on the title, asking for the best, sorry.
-Erwin Doernberg

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:39 AM
sorry, i only know the 4th
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline gep

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:03 AM
Question: why are there only a number of Symphnies in your vote list? Why not all 11?

Personally, a close tie between 8 and 9, but when pressed I'd go for 9. Mind you, I mean the Ninth including the Finale! The Ninth without the Finale is really a fragment (albeit a big one); unfortunately most people think it complete in three movements. The Finale is the most disturbing of any Bruckner Finale, which is probably the reason why people rather ingnore it (if they know there is a Finale to begin with). OK, the Finale is not entirely complete (and less complete now than at the time of Bruckner's death because of souvenir hunters), but still: GET TO KNOW IT, if you do not do so.

Best performance of the 3 movement fragment: Furtwängler/Berliner Phil 1944.
Best completed version (i.e. with Finale): hard driven to choose between Carragan, Letocart and Cohrs/Samale/Phillips/Mazzuca.

All best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:12 PM
Question: why are there only a number of Symphnies in your vote list? Why not all 11?

Personally, a close tie between 8 and 9, but when pressed I'd go for 9. Mind you, I mean the Ninth including the Finale! The Ninth without the Finale is really a fragment (albeit a big one); unfortunately most people think it complete in three movements. The Finale is the most disturbing of any Bruckner Finale, which is probably the reason why people rather ingnore it (if they know there is a Finale to begin with). OK, the Finale is not entirely complete (and less complete now than at the time of Bruckner's death because of souvenir hunters), but still: GET TO KNOW IT, if you do not do so.

Best performance of the 3 movement fragment: Furtwängler/Berliner Phil 1944.
Best completed version (i.e. with Finale): hard driven to choose between Carragan, Letocart and Cohrs/Samale/Phillips/Mazzuca.

All best,
gep

Good points all! I do think, however, that it is important that these completions of Bruckner's final finale need to be given as much exposure as possible because, although their history is now quite a long one, performances of this symphony as a four-movement work remain very few and far between compared, for example, to complete ones of Mahler's Tenth; quite why that should be at this stage I am unsure, but I can only conjecture that, as the "fragment"(!) that is its first three movements is on so much larger a scale than the first movement of Mahler's Tenth Symphony (the only one that the composer completed more or less in full), it has had a greater chance of becoming perceived (albeit quite wrongly and inappropriately) as a symphonic entity in and of itself. Much as I love Bruckner's Ninth Symphony, I have tended to avoid listening to it often until relatively recently, because I know from the outset that it will all end in utter frustration (which is hardly an apposite response to the end of its third movement!).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:17:40 PM
And how about Bruckner Symphony's performers? My occupation with Bruckner has been sharply on the increase lately, mainly due to my delving in the various completions of the Finale of the 9th. I've got several complete set now (or partially complete if there are no complete sets from this or that conductor), and some are very good and/or interestingly different.
How about Celibidache (3-9)? I really do not know if it should be that slow at some points (77mins for the three movements of the 9th??), but he's got my attention! Volkmar Andreae is an interesting "oldy" set from 1953 with rather quick tempi. Tintner is quite good too, as is Skrowaszewski. Dennis Russel Davies is in the mail as we speak.
Jan Peter Marthé is [fill in various favorite exceedingly scatological words], really.... Bruckner died over a century ago, no need to murder him now, especially not in St. Florian itself!! :P >:( and  :'(

One observation: Bruckner has been, for me, always been second after Mahler. Presently he's gaining. Don't know why, perhaps it's the same as getting to know Schubert after you've underwent Beethoven? 

Opinions, anyone?

gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 05:10:34 AM
I would vote for either the 8th or the 9th.

Offline lisztrachmaninovfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:52 AM
I cannot vote, because Bruckner's Symphony No.3 or 6 isn't up there. Why don't you just list all of his symphonies?
Currently working on:
*Prelude, Op.23 N.4 (Rachmaninoff)
*Prelude & Fugue in F major, WTC II (Bach)
...not fully decided on what else to start (most likely will be a Liszt, Schubert, or Medtner)...

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:53:47 AM
Why isn't there a no.3? I like the end of the 1st movement especially.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert