Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 1  (Read 7099 times)

Offline nitroglycerin

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 1
on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:57 PM
Hi everyone. This is my version of Chopin's Nocturne Op. 27 No. 1:

I have learned it in 5 months, and I want to play it even better than this. My teacher says it's OK. What do you think?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 1
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:42 PM
I must say I'm impressed by the seriousness, passion and depth you play one of my favorite Nocturnes! And obviously it really pays to invest 5 months of work into it, instead of only a few weeks, like so many do!

Thank you for posting this! :)

And welcome to Pianostreet!  :)

P.S. I listened also to your Brahms Ballade and I like it very much as well! Some things are a bit disturbed by the acoustics but your intention comes across very well. Finally somebody who can make a difference between main melody and accompaniment. So often when I listen to this ballade I am torn back and forth between these two and it just makes me nervous. It seems like you have the overview and you play from a certain central viewpoint.

And well, 2nd P.S. :P your Constantinescu: bravo! :)

Offline allthumbs

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:57:11 PM
I agree 100% with pianowolfi, you played that Nocturne beautifully and with a maturity that belies your age. Well done!

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:18:16 AM
Wonderfully deep.  Exceptional playing!
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:52:17 AM
This is a marvelous performance of the nocturne.  You phrase the cantilena well, voice chords beautifully, bring out the dynamic range of the music, pedal judiciously, and convey all the atmospherics of this night music.  Bravo!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:52:58 PM
No arguments here.  That was a very masterful performance for one so young.  I think what I liked most about it, was that it was YOUR interpretation.  No superimposed ritards or rubati, etc.
Very direct and unaffected.  Bravo!  That red-headed klutz who got up and left had some nerve...
Try playing the octave section as octaves.  It really changes the conception there.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:32:15 AM
Your playing is coming along quite well!

Some comments:
The Rh melody seemed to me too cleanly measured and one dimensioned 1:02-1:35 is a moment where the RH melody wants to broaden and mingle with the LH which is phrased more subtle than just its constant full arpeggio form, but this recording seems too evenly timed and voiced for my taste.
1:44/2:03 the entry of the RH lower part is too harsh and then it 2:12 its reply is too strong, I feel it should have a different feel to it than the upper melody. 2:27-2:48 LH needs a lot more clarity I can't hear the intervals being played it is being drowned out by the rest. 2:49 was the climax point but it didn't have that "big" effect, you should build up to that more effectively you tend to build too early, make this climax point the loudest point of your playing, also you could broaden this part slightly more. Building to 3:01-3:17 was too early as well (the repeated chords entering 3:14 in RH where too choppy and loud and not clearly phrased from what came before) so then it was hard to make what follows stand out clearly, I would say the Lh is the culprit here. 3:52 the last octave should interact with the repeat of the opening theme the reentry was too cut paste.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline nitroglycerin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:20 PM
Well, as I am new on pianostreet.com, I have to say that I didn't really expect any replies. I want to thank all of you for appreciation.

@lostinidlewonder Thank you, I will try to improve everything.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert