Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Polonaise A flat major op.53 and Träumerei  (Read 4567 times)

Offline adapa

• PS Silver Member
Polonaise A flat major op.53 and Träumerei
on: March 21, 2010, 03:59:23 PM

Comments and advice are really appreciated!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Polonaise A flat major op.53 and Träumerei
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39:05 PM
Polonaise: certainly you have the skills to play this piece. But I miss the Polonaise- and especially the "heroic" character a lot in the first part. It seems (well, this is difficult to communicate without interacting together at two pianos :P) like you rush a lot in that first part. Not within the chosen overall tempo, which I find quite good, but inside of the measures. In the introductory parts you build up tension and expectations which you then don't fulfill :P it's too soft, too much kept back, too much legato where you would be supposed to play staccato. I like your middle part much more, that one with the bass octaves. Congratulations on that!

Well it's mainly this certain Polonaise rhythm that I miss, where you always need to keep back and give it a little more time between the eight and the two sixteenth notes, and also between the four eighth notes.

Offline adapa

• PS Silver Member
Re: Polonaise A flat major op.53 and Träumerei
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:49:53 PM
Hey! Thanks for the advice! I see what you mean about the first part, and i agree about that. I am trying to do the give it a more dance like character by playing more staccato and emphasizing the bottom a flat among other things. Im quite happy with my tempo though.  Can you explain where im rushing so i can look into it?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert