Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Nitpickers, arguers.... ed.....  (Read 2206 times)

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Nitpickers, arguers.... ed.....
on: July 10, 2004, 03:59:33 AM
Why does the original question or topic get lost in countless threads that just want to argue instead of sincerally looking at the original question???
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nitpickers, arguers.... ed.....
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 04:00:40 AM
Hey Ahmedito, you should really pay attention, because a thread IS the original question, while what people reply are posts, or replies.... not threads....
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 04:02:25 AM
Seriously.... I really think there should be a bit more control over the quality of threads and their responses, since (especially when the original topic contains the word GOD), a topic gets overloaded with 20+ answers of which only 1 really has to do with the original question.

f0bul0us

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 04:11:35 AM
To answer a single question in depth without breaking off in some way to another thought puts limits on both the posters and the person asking the question. Btw, what's the harm in a discussion where the original question has already been answered, and the ideas of another poster are used to generate a more complex and thought provoking thread that would in the end lead us to answering several questions in a single thread?

Offline Snappy Joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 04:31:21 AM
Well said happy man, good form, I would have said something similar, but you said it much better..!
So why the hell am I writing this? :p
I wanted to express myself, thereby going semi-offtopic but still remaining.. awake...    ...........I'm tired..sorry  ::)

It would be great if your question could be answered by a single post though, but there's so many nuances to it's surroundings that it would be near impossible, well...
well almost.

I think I just hit firstplace of  the annual crappy posts awards...  ???
 F. Liszt

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 07:38:34 PM
Well heres a thought....

How about we all learn to discipline ourselves.... Im not talking about answering every single question with a single post, but, whenever a new thought or idea arises and the discussion gets way of track, how about simply starting a new thread?

Offline belvoce

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 07:19:55 AM
Ahmedito, I agree completely. How hard is it to start a new thread it one has a new idea?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 03:18:39 AM
I think if someone's breaking away from the conversation far enough, they should link their new thread -- just create a new thread, then copy the link in the original thread.  

I've seen a few threads that totally change topics in the middle of a thread.  I wonder what I'm missing in those threads that don't have a topic that relates to me.

Maybe someone should create helpful hints for posting on threads -- thread etiquette, tricks for posting, etc
Code: [Select]
test
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert