Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: .  (Read 4281 times)

Offline trumofo

• PS Silver Member
on: March 29, 2010, 01:13:45 PM

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Well congratulations on your performance!

I really don't know how to comment on this sonata at the moment. In some ways I feel I should be qualified to do so, but it seems like those same ways more disqualify me. It's a paradox.

I like the observance of the staccatos and rests in the chords of the recitative section, 9:30 and following. The voicing in the left hand, 14:55 - 15:00 and again (especially) at 25:25-25:30 in the B major section, is exquisite. It was over all a more dry interpretation, and it came to a literal, matter-of-fact close. There is something of timing in this sonata, relativity and timing...I feel like I want it to be as long and as epic as Parsifal, but it can't be. It's a funny thing, this sonata runs the course of a lifetime in 30 minutes, or here less, but it is essentially the length of one of Bruckner's slow movements - things I think about that you don't have to think about. But as far as timing goes, its lacking space, or a roundness of time...I don't know how to describe it - on paper it is just right, but there is something I can't put my finger on, and it could just be the challenge of bringing off the piece (aside from the obvious technical difficulty which you've so easily mastered.)

Ah well, it is an excellent, powerful (first?) performance, and yes, a bit unleashed. I couldn't hope for anything better (I believe my first performance was in November 2004, and this include a slip in the fugue forcing me to jump on a different path...10, 20 measures just disappeared!).
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
It got my blood rushing and upped my temps! ;D
therefore I liked it !!!!!!! there were certain portions
of the piece which I felt were really gentle....
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline trumofo

• PS Silver Member

Offline remy

• PS Silver Member
It's a tremendous joy to listen to you play, Mikey.

You sure get a huge volume of sound out of that gorgeous B.

It would be great if you could post a video that we can download.

Maybe one with not quite so many naughty words?

jeremy

Offline trumofo

• PS Silver Member

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Superb, well thought out. If I had to critique a few P touches need more sensitivity, otherwise overall top notch and an honor to listen to!
....I play very differently "live" than in my studio run-through.
That is always the case with public performances, we rarely play as well as we do as in the safety of our home turf, unless we are having a very good day. I would have forgotten any bad start after listening to this though so you recovered very well here!
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
That is always the case with public performances, we rarely play as well as we do as in the safety of our home turf, unless we are having a very good day. I would have forgotten any bad start after listening to this though so you recovered very well here!
Really? I find myself having the best preformances when I play in public.. Oh well, we're all different I guess
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert