Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 04:41:23 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Verbier Festival 2011 on Medici.tv

More than 20 events from the Verbier festival are streamed live as well as being available on demand for free. Here are some piano related highlights you may not want to miss... Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bach Invention nr 1 for two part  (Read 6728 times)
rmbarbosa
PS Gold Member

« on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »

I like to play the Inventions for two part and I play all of them. But yesterday, when I was in the forum, I saw some posts about Invention nr 1 where the mordent, at the first bar, was suposed to be played b-c-b. And the same at 2º bar (f-G-f). It happens that I learned this Invention with an old edition of Inventions, by Bruno Mugellini (<> year 1900!), where he says:"in the manuscripts we find a mordent, not a inverted mordent, but this is undoubtedlly an error of the writing". I dont kow what were his reasons to say this, but I allways have played b-a-b. Am I wrong? Must I play b-c-b? And why Mugellini wrote "undoubtelly an error". May you help me? Thanks.
Rui
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Invention
stevebob
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »

I reckon that Mugellini used the word "undoubtedly" because he was convinced he's right and other editions are wrong.  Unfortunately, the same can be said for the editors whose own judgments diverge from Mugellini's; each has faith that his scholarship and sources are uniquely authoritative.

In this specific instance, I couldn't say whether a mordent or an inverted mordent is more correct, authentic or appropriate; I've seen it printed both ways, and heard it played both ways.  Though I'm hardly an authority on Bach or Baroque performance practices, it may be helpful to recall that some license was expected of performers in the location and execution of embellishments in music of that era.

If you prefer a mordent, I think you should continue to play it as such.  The editions that prescribe a mordent are undoubtedly (!) as reputable as Mugellini's.

What passes you ain't for you.
rmbarbosa
PS Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

Thank you, Stevebob, your opinion makes sense. I was so worried ... Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: