Piano Forum

Topic: Practicing in a condo  (Read 3469 times)

Offline junderover

• PS Silver Member
Practicing in a condo
on: April 19, 2010, 12:15:49 AM
what are your solutions to acoustically isolate your piano in a condo so as not to disturb the neighbors when you practice?  I continue to work on this problem. Have used various solutions but when my upstairs neighbor stopped me to say she liked my Beethoven, I realized that I could probably use a little more sound dampening.  Thanks in advance.
Junderover

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing in a condo
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:38 AM
There are a lot of threads on this.  Usually it has apartment or neighbors in the thread title.  I don't think any of them really came to a solution.

Maybe the best...
Find out what the legal requirements are for what you're allowed -- If you're allowed to practice between 9am-10pm, nobody can do anything to stop you.

Work out an agreement with the neighbors.

Buy a digitial piano and use that whenever.  Then use the acoustic when you're able.

I don't think anything short of physically sound-isolating the room -- building a room inside a room -- or buying a movable practice room would really work.  You can pad all over -- the walls, under the piano, the ceiling, etc., but sound will still get through.  There are places that make practice rooms that an upright would fit in -- probably a grand too if you want to pay for it, but if a little one costs $3-5,000 I can't imagine what one for a grand would cost.

It sounds like you've got being on positive terms with the neighbors.  That's good.  Get them to tell you if there's a problem instead of going to the managment.

I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned building or buying a practice room on here before.  That is one solution but it's very expensive.  Otherwise there really isn't a solution for eliminating the sound.  Not that I've heard of and not that I've seen on here.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing in a condo
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:17:55 AM
I have my own personal practice room in the apartment which I live in with my parents and siblings.

When we got the place there was an extra room available with sufficient space for my grand piano and shelves etc. My dad had the room carpeted and also put thick curtains in. That blocks out enough noise already...so far I even can practice past 10pm and no one complains
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert