Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: After the flame  (Read 1926 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
After the flame
on: April 24, 2010, 08:51:54 AM
There are transitions.

(It's says March 31, 2010...there's nothing I can do but believe that is true.)

Or a transition.

From a tape! A small, live room with a rather bright Baldwin. It is a stuffy place with no escape for the sound which just swirls around and around, tones bumping and bouncing off each other. I remember practicing the last movement of Rachmaninov's 1st Sonata in the room a few years ago...the cataclysmic end...and walking out shaking like a tuning fork just struck.

(I should say, to Wolfi with love :D A dedication.)

Enjoy.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: After the flame
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:58:08 PM
Wow!
There are things under the sun we can't believe at first...
we sense them deeply, underconsciously.
The never ending fascination this theme had on musicians must be one remembrance of this kind of stuff out there (in there).

*Shiver*

I love it!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:42 AM
(Did you know that if you are in the process of typing a long response and accidental hit the back button, you've lost all you've typed and you cannot get it back? :D Aha...life under the sun!)

And that's it in a nut shell, Wolfi. I based a whole response on you're phrase, "life under the sun" and the fascination with this theme. My good friend who lost his best friend, his mother, and several others close to him in short order said when asked how he was doing, "Well, I'm still in the land of the dying, but hope to make it to the land of the living." And that's it, easily observable: "A generation goes and a generation comes, But the earth remains forever," "All flesh is grass," etc.

The phrase "life under the sun" jumped out at me because I've been reading and thinking quite a bit about Ecclesiastes lately, and the phrase is used nearly 30 times...the main theme the absolute and utter futility of life under the sun...the sun rising and falling, rising and falling...the wind circling the earth...the rivers flowing into the sea and the sea not being filled...and most intense and most painful, a generation comes, and generation goes, people are born, people die - Observable cycles that are like a hamster running on a wheel - a lot of running without going anywhere.

And the the contrast..."life under the sun." "Life in the Son!"

"And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son."

Sun-Son...that's poetic; that's musical. Something to meditate on. I know it's nothing that your post meant...I've just been reading a lot lately. Take a look at Ecclesiastes sometime.  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:56:26 PM
Yes :) I think I meant all that you say, without knowing it yet :) The words "under the sun" have been posted underconsciously but, as I notice now, not coincidentally.  I'll definitely look into Ecclesiastes, Kohelet!  

*takes Furtwängler with him into a secret catacomb*  ;D
(Well... :-\ isn't the improvisation board anyway already a secret catacomb?  :'( )
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert