Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: How do you practice Arps?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
How do you practice Arps?
on: July 12, 2004, 01:09:38 AM
I have become very familiar with scales and chord inversions in all major and minor keys and I would like to start practicing my arpeggios, but I'm a little confused on where to start.

Do you go up and down the keyboard in each inversion separately, such as for C Major root, C E G | C E G | C E G C and back, then do the other inversion, or do you play all inversions up and down the keyboard such as: C E G C | E G C E | G C E G | C E G C.

I guess I'm just asking for the common way of practicing arps and a good way to get started. Thanks

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do you practice Arps?
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:49:05 AM
Do you go up and down the keyboard in each inversion separately, such as for C Major root, C E G C E G C E G C and back, then do the other inversion, or do you play all inversions up and down the keyboard such as: C E G C E G C E G C E G C E G C.

What's the difference between the two?? You have written C E G repeated the two times? Don't you mean ( the second time ): C E G E G C G C E C E G ?

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 02:07:01 AM
there, added lines where hand position changes on original post, by that I mean doing each inversion in order - root, 1st, 2nd, root, 1st, 2nd, root... etc.

the first one I mean doing only root, root, root, root all the way up and down the keyboard, then doing 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, etc. for each key.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 02:40:27 AM
Ah ok, now i understand  :P Well, i would firstly do root root root, and after this make root 1st 2nd 3rd .

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 02:53:34 AM
I really dont recommend that.
Go up and down using all the inversions, and when you get to the top go (in the case of C for example) C E G E C G E C all the way down again and when you reach the bottom finish with (again in the case of C) C G E G C.
Use the same structure with the rest and you´ll do fine.

I dont know if thats clear, I will elaborate if you didnt get it.
damm

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 03:22:22 AM
I don't really understand, by "all inversions" do you mean do them each separately or do them all together? And in those fingerings, whered does the direction reverse?

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 05:16:02 AM
Ok, here goes.

You should practice all inversions TOGETHER, this will help your technique and finger precision.

So lets use C maj as an example.

So you start with C (I generally do 4 octaves so lets do this), you go, C E G C (1st inversion) E G C E (2nd inversion) G C E G (3rd inversion), and back to root. So now youve done 1 octave. So keep goin like this for two more octaves and then...
4th Octave
Go C E G C, E G C E, G C E G and then back to the root with a bit of a turn for you to be able to go back down again with no problem so you use the root C E G E C (see the turn, instead of going directrly to C you repeat the E so the last C you play is converted to the FIRST C of the arpeggio that you will play going down this time).

Now for the arps going down.
You continue going down C G E C (root), G E C G (2nd), E C G E (3rd) and back to root. You continue this pattern until you get to the octave where you started. Here you will also do a turn when you get to the final root, go
C G E G C. (The turn being between G and E)

Do this with both hands using a 1 2 3 5 (root), 1 2 4 5 (second), 1 2 4 5 (third), 1 2 3 5 (root) fingering for the right and a 5 3 2 1 (root), 5 4 2 1 (second), 5 3 2 1 (third), 5 3 2 1 (root) for the left (this is for going up, just invert when you go down).
Remember this finguering is for the C maj as arps in other scales may vary.

Now this method is the method used in Russia (my teacher is russian and went to a big conservatory in Moscow, dont remember the name of the conservatory. This is in a book she gave me and she told me this is the best way to practice arpeggios and truly the results are marvelous).

Hope it helps  ;D
damm

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 11:13:35 PM
Thank you for the in depth reply I understand exactly what you mean now. So it's not ever necessary to practice inversions individually?

Offline alvaro_galvez

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 11:28:51 PM
Practicing this way will make all the inversions too easy to practice by themselves.
damm
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert