Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Steinway Model S  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Ade1967

• PS Silver Member
Steinway Model S
on: July 12, 2004, 11:00:10 AM
I’m looking at getting a grand piano no bigger than 6’ though I may be tempted with one a few inches bigger  (before anyone starts the last bit is not a signal for any camp comments!). With the budget I’ve set myself (which seems to have gone a little bit higher each day) I’ll be able to get an early 20th century piano made by one of the big four: Steinway, Bechstein, Bosendorfer or Bluthner. I was just wondering your opinion of the smaller makes of these pianos, 5’ to 5’6’’, specifically the Steinway Model S - 5’1’’ (fully reconditioned). I know that all Steinways are supposed to be great but with this being 5’1’’ I just wondered if it would still compare favourably with other pianos in the same price range. Unfortunately the location of this Steinway isn’t close to were we live so would require a special trip, maybe even a day off work (yipee!), so I just wanted to know your opinions before I commit to going to have a look at it. Also if it was a choice of an early 20th century Steinway Model S or a brand new Yamaha C3 which would you choose.

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Steinway Model S
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 01:58:48 AM
Play lots of pianos and then decide. ;D (Unless the brand name is very important to you for some reason, I'd also suggest pretending every piano is "brand X" as you play them -- just ignore the brand name totally, judge the pianos as musical instruments and search for the sound/touch you like best.)

It seems you have the space and financial wherewithal to get a decent 6-foot (plus a few inches), decent grand piano. So no need to limit your self to tiny Steinway or Yamaha C3. (My personal subjective preference, between the two, would be to get a new C3 rather than a tiny Steinway -- I've never played early 20th century 5'+ baby grands from Boesendorfer, Bechstein, Bluthner, and Steinway. But I played new Steinway S's, new 5'-ish Boesendorfers, and other "baby grands," and have yet to find any grand piano under 5'6" that I like -- so I'll admit to my "big piano" bias. ;D )

With your price range and size limit, can also go check out Kawai RX-2/RX-3, Estonia 168/190, Petrof IV/III; just a few options off the top of my head. (Personal preference: From the samples of these pianos I played, I'd very likely take any of these over any 5'1" baby grand, Steinway notwithstanding. Not bashing Steinway here, they make good pianos at larger sizes, the 'S' just doesn't do it for me -- couldn't get the depth and dynamic range down in the lower bass.)

Play lots of pianos and then decide.

Good luck! :)

Offline Ade1967

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:22:45 PM
I’ve thought about getting a new piano but there’s just something about old pianos that really floats my boat (not just pianos, anything old). I will be trying different makes but unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any places near to where we live so each trip to view pianos is going to be at least a couple of hours drive each way. Because of this I’ve restricted myself to only going to look at pianos if they have a  Steinway, Bechstein, Bosendorfer or Bluthner but I will play any other pianos they’ve got. If I didn’t narrow it down in this way I’d have to pack in work in order to have time to try them all! Hang on that’s not a bad idea….

I’d heard that the Steinway Model S’ weren’t too good and had originally removed it from my list but when a 1930’s model became available I was tempted. Also I seem to remember reading somewhere (I wish I knew where) that the old Steinway Model S’ were good, far better than their modern versions, but it was that long ago that I read it I’m not 100% sure what the overall verdict was.

Yes, I feel really lucky to finally have room for a grand piano but as for the financial side I think I’ll be working 12 hours a day until I’m 80, but then one has to suffer for ones art.

Offline G.Fiore

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:28:34 PM
Ade, I'll second Axremus' advice, the model S is not the best of the Steinway models. In fact dealers don't try to push the new ones too much. Remember, you might like these old pianos with their great character, but your not going to like constantly shelling out $ to keep abreast of the ravages of time.
Try some of the new pianos from Estonia, Yamaha,Kawai,Petrof,and others.
George Fiore /aka Curry
 Piano Technician serving the central New Jersey area

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:55:04 AM
Play lots of pianos and then decide. ;D
With your price range and size limit, can also go check out Kawai RX-2/RX-3, Estonia 168/190, Petrof IV/III; just a few options off the top of my head. (Personal preference: From the samples of these pianos I played, I'd very likely take any of these over any 5'1" baby grand, Steinway notwithstanding. Not bashing Steinway here, they make good pianos at larger sizes, the 'S' just doesn't do it for me -- couldn't get the depth and dynamic range down in the lower bass.)

Play lots of pianos and then decide.

Good luck! :)

I'll second what Axtremus said!

If you're really set on Steinway, the model that I hear lots of good things about is the Model O.  At 5' 10 1/2", it's about your optimum size as well.  

Based on your list of the big four makers, I'm assuming you're in Great Britain or somewhere in Europe.  In the US, our list would probably include Baldwin, especially if used/rebuilt instruments were being considered.   If you were in the U.S. I'd also recommend auditioning a Charles Walter, but I don't think they're available in Europe.

The best advice is play a lot of pianos, find one, or a short list that you really like, and if any of those are used, or rebuilt, call in an independent piano technician to check it out for any issues that you can't see.  

Good luck!
Wynne

Offline calin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 02:40:35 PM
I wouldn't even consider a Steinway S. After playing a new (Hamburg) one recently, I was left with a really bad impression: while the treble/tenor were ok, the bass was like a joke. The bottom octave produces only a few of the higher overtones and lacks any depth.
The bigger Steinways are much better.
I was pleasantly surprised by the smallest Bechstein grand (around 160cm, it's the older model that was recently replaced by the L167) good for such a small pianodecent.

Calin
https://calin.haos.ro
Bechstein piano forum:
https://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bechstein/

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:54:35 PM
If you are in Europe, you should contact both Mark Smart (England) and Imre Szabo (Germany).  They specialize in old pianos (Mark mostly Bechstein, Imre does mostly Bechstein, Bosendorfer and Bluthner).  Watch out for cracked plates, this can be repaired but you are wise to choose the piano that does not need this.

If you are not in Germany or England, I hear that rebuilding in Poland may be worth the distance, although I have no first-hand experience. 

I dislike the Steinway S, I think it is a sorry piano.  Steinway O would be the only Steinway I would consider in that size (I grew up with one, so I have an indulgent bent for it). 

I would take the Yamaha c3 over Steinway S, but you have much better options (Estonia 190, August Forster (not the Czech version) 190, if in America: Mason & Hamlin A).  I would even take an old Kawai over the Yamaha.  I would take a new Irmler (it feels like an old piano, really) over any of these.

You don't sound like a Chinese piano kind of person, so I won't go there.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline Floristan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 05:44:49 PM
What Ax said.  Personally, I wouldn't consider a piano under 170cm/5'7".  The bass strings need to be long enough to actually produce a recognizable tone.  170cm is about where that starts to be possible.  Even at that size, the extreme bass is still often "tubby."  If you can afford a 190 or bigger, you're better off.  Play a wide selection and you'll quickly see what works for you.

Also, I probably wouldn't buy a "reconditioned" instrument that was 50 or more years old.  Totally rebuilt, yes, but reconditioned, no.  Almost all instruments that old need at least a new pinblock and restringing, and they often need the bridges recapped and a new sounding board as well. 

"Reconditioning" usually means action work was performed (maybe new hammers and a good regulation).  "Rebuilt" is the term technicians use here in the U.S. to indicate that "belly" work has also been done.

Offline Danm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:44:00 PM
I would go for an early Steinway over the C3. Sounds like you are in an area with a lot of used pianos, lucky you. Dearth of them around my area.

Agree with the earlier comments, try to stay above 6 feet. Another to consider is the Walter 190. Not in high production, and hard to find (especially one taken care of). The early ones were lemons and a bunch of them are still around. Anyhow, it's the only one in this size range, with a reasonable price (what I consider reasonable), that worked for me.

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 02:57:52 AM
That really depends.  What would you consider buying a used Steinway or a brand new Yamaha C3 about the same size.  That's a hard choice in my opinion. ::)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert