Piano Forum

Poll

Which of its parts are the hardest ones?

Contrapunctus I
Contrapunctus II
Contrapunctus III
Contrapunctus IV
Contrapunctus V
Contrapunctus VI
Contrapunctus VII
Contrapunctus VIII
Contrapunctus IX
Contrapunctus X
Contrapunctus XI
Contrapunctus XII
Contrapunctus XIII
Contrapunctus XIV
Contrapunctus XV
Contrapunctus XVI
Contrapunctus XVII
Contrapunctus XVIII

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: The Art of Fugue by Bach  (Read 7409 times)

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
The Art of Fugue by Bach
on: May 07, 2010, 11:20:26 AM
Hi, I've been working on Bach's BWV 1080 for some time, and I wanted to ask whether somebody here has played all of it and which parts he would consider to be the hardest ones. You can vote for 3 options in the poll. The edition that I'm using is the Russian one available at https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Fugue,_BWV_1080_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian)#For_Piano. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline hansscherff

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Art of Fugue by Bach
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:38:52 PM
I remember having read something about it that it starts relatively easy and ends hard, but i have never played them myself. Aside from that difficulty is usually very personal, but with these pieces all in the same style it might be less personal....

That sounded confusing, like i'm having two voices in my head  ;D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:27 PM
This is so much absolute music! Bach didn't even define a specific instrumentation. If you want to play the whole thing it's for sure a lifetime job, I think. But of course it is possible to play only parts. I love the contrapunctus 1 :)

Offline gavin_rossdale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:02:03 PM
Though its a very good piano music, I often think that The Art of Fugue sounds best when played by a string quartet: the sound is beautiful and expressive..
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert