Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: recordings: Haydn sonatas  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
recordings: Haydn sonatas
on: July 13, 2004, 12:18:30 PM
Any recommendations on good recordings of the Haydn sonatas?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: recordings: Haydn sonatas
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 12:39:33 PM
For selections of them, Emannuel Ax. Ivo Pogorelich and Andras Schiff.

For the complete set, John MacCabe (Decca), Walter Olbertz (Edel) and Jenos Jando (Naxos). The Jenos Jando one, has the advantage that you can buy the CDs separately (they are cheaper too.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Shagdac

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:48:39 PM
I have not heard the others Bernhard mentioned. But I do have the one by Emmanuel Ax, and find it excellent.

S :)

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 12:50:30 PM
I have not heard the others Bernhard mentioned. But I do have the one by Emmanuel Ax, and find it excellent.

S :)

Yes, Emanuel Ax is an excellent pianist, and in my opinion very underrated. :'(
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 01:20:02 PM
Thanks, Susan and Bernhard!

I would most likely be looking at selections of the sonatas, rather than the entire set (for price reasons).

I'm not familiar with any of the sonatas.  Which pieces should I start with?

- Saturn

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 07:44:14 PM
One of the rare instances I disagree with Bernhard. I never liked Ax. Don't like his sound.

My favorite Haydn recording is the Schiff. Too bad he didn't record all of them.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:51:46 AM
One of the rare instances I disagree with Bernhard. I never liked Ax. Don't like his sound.

My favorite Haydn recording is the Schiff. Too bad he didn't record all of them.

I think I am going to throw a tantrum... ;)

Saturn:

I am not sure what to say. Do you mean a suggestion for listening? If so probably the late sonatas are the most satisfying (I particularly like Hob XVI/52 in Eb major).

In fact Hmoll is right, Although I like Ax, the sonatas in his CD are not the best (in my opinion). Schiff has a far better selection. However, keep in mind that it is a double CD (here in the UK it retails for £ 32). For this amount you could almost get the whole set from naxos (10 CDs at £ 40).

I definitely suggest that you get the complete set, because besides the fact I like most of them, just like the Beethoven sonatas, they show Haydn's musical development.

If you are asking suggestions for playing/teaching, as I said I like most of them. In any case, here are my favourites (approximate grades in brackets):

Sonata XVI/8 in G major - Allegro (5) - Menuet (2/3) - Andante (2/3) - Finalle: Allegro (2/3 or less)

Sonata XVI/7 in C major - Allegro moderato (4) - Menuet and trio (4) - Finale: Allegro (5)

Sonata XVI/9 in F major - Allegro (5) - Menuet and Trio (4) Scherzo (2)

Sonata XVI/G1 in G major - Allegro (5) - Menueto (2/3) - Finale: Presto (5)

Sonata XVI/11 in G major - Presto (5) - Andante (4) - Menuet and trio (5)

Sonata XVI/10 in C major - Moderato (5) - Menuet and Trio (4) - Finale: Presto (5)

Sonata XVI/D1 in D major - Moderato (5) - Menuet (3 or less) - Finale: Allegro (5)

Sonata XVI/5 in A major -      Allegro (7) Menuet and trio (2/3) Finale: Presto (6)

Sonata XVI/4 in D major - Moderato (5) Menuet and Trio (4)

Sonata XVI/1 in C major - Allegro (5) - Adagio (4) - Menuet and Trio (2/3)

Sonata XVI/12 in A major - Andante (6) - Menuet and Trio (5) - Finale: Allegro molto (5)

Sonata XVI/6 in G major - Allegro (7) - Menuet and Trio (6) - Adagio (5) -Finale (6)

Sonata XVI/14 in D major - Allegro moderato (7) - Menuet and Trio (5) - Finale: Allegro (6)

Sonata XVI/46 in Ab major - Allegro moderato (8 ) - Adagio(8 ) - Finale: Presto (7)

Sonata XVI/43 in Ab major - Moderato (7) - Menuetto (2/3) - Rondo: Presto (7)

Sonata XVI/22 in E major - Allegro moderato (7) - Andante (6) Finale: Tempo di menuet (6)      

Sonata XVI/27 no. 42 in G major - Allegro con Brio (6) - Menuet (5) - Finale: Presto (5)

Sonata XVI/34 in E minor - Presto (7) - Adagio (6) - Finale: Vivace molto (6)

Sonata XVI/50 in C major - Allegro (8+) - Adagio (7) - Finale: Allegro molto (7)

Sonata XVI/52 in Eb major - Allegro (8+) - Adagio (8+) - Finale: Presto (8 )

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 06:53:54 PM
Saturn:

I am not sure what to say. Do you mean a suggestion for listening?

Both for listening and playing.  But, thanks for your list, it's exactly what I wanted.

- Saturn

Offline erik-

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 06:23:16 PM
I love Glenn Gould's recordings of 6 of the Haydn's late sonatas.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 07:28:21 PM
Geoffrey Lancaster has an AMAZING way of playing these sonatas, he's brilliant.  he recorded them on an old fortepiano- after each take, they had to retune!
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert