Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: Polonaise in A-flat Major Op.53 - Chopin, new version  (Read 6697 times)

Offline adapa

• PS Silver Member
I rerecorded this, my youtube version was sloppy and i got good advice from you guys so here we go again! Enjoy and tell me how it sounds :)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Polonaise in A-flat Major Op.53 - Chopin, new version
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:40 AM
Hi adapta,

I didn't follow your performance with the score, but believe that you have produced a fully creditable rendition of this Polonaise.  You display an ample technique, attend thoughtfully to matters of musicality, and play always with musical intent, spirit and flair.  I enjoyed listening.   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
 I agree.  That was very good!  And it shows how the quality of a piano doesn't necessarily have to affect the rendition of the performance.  I prefer listening to an out-of-tune piano then a synthesizer.  Or whatever it's called.
In the octave section, before the E-flat-major part, a slight rit. in anticipation, and slightly (ever so slightly) slower.  It sounds bigger and more "blown up" that way.

Offline adapa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:51:49 PM
I agree the recording quality isn't good, but it is mainly the piano that make it sound "less" than it should. This was not written to be played on an upright. Thanks for the advice on the octave section, but in terms of interpretation i don't know if that would be announcing too much as i happen to play the following section quite calm. I might experiment a bit though :)
There are so many different ways to play this piece that i cant stick with an interpretation for long before getting curious. I must say i like the Rubinstein and horowitz versions(although they are very different) better than newer, more "rounded edges" interpretations such as rafal blechacz in the chopin competition. But they are all fascinating ways to play this piece.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert